Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

PS Ill be shooting it for first time today. I intended to start at 25 to get on paper. Is there a typical come up on the Lyman sight for different yrdages?

ie. 25 yards equals bottom plus 4 clicks, 50 equals 25 plus 2 clicks, 100 equals 50 plus 4 clicks? Similar to a good start for Garand at 100 is bottom plus 8.

...and what are the elevation and windage adjustments on a Lyman?

2. Default

Early rifles were blued. There exists a series of rifles referred to as M2 NRA rifles. Most of these were M2's but there are a number of 1922 MII's on the list. I have two of M2's and these have a distinctive black parkerization. I have not found one of the 1922MII's yet.

3. Default

Okay im learning a little I think.

If it was an MI and converted it became an MII.

If it was new built with the late features its an M2.

The first just had a second I punched aside the first, in the second case the receiver was marked M2 as it was built.

These markings are under the scope block on the front rec ring.

4. Default

Just left the range.
    Last edited by pmclaine; 02-27-2016 at 02:12.

Blog Entries

pmclaine,

You are getting into some questions that can't be answered with just a few words.

The 1922M1 NRA Sales Variation rifles were blued with some parts nitre blackened.

Some of the last made 1922M1 NRA Sales Rifles that remained unsold in govt inventory were fitted with the early type M2 bolts. These "transition" rifles were the subject of an article by W. P. Eyberg in the January/February 1985 issue of Man At Arms magazine. The serial numbers of these 1922M1 transition rifles generally fall between 19356 and 20834. Eyberg lists 84 serial numbers of transition rifles he was aware of. There were more than 84 as I own a transition rifle that is not on the list. These rifles would have the blue finish and would be drilled and tapped for scope blocks.
    Some of these had the extra I added to the model number and a B suffix added to the serial and some lacked the extra I and B.

The last of the NRA Sales variation rifles were built and marked as M2 rifles and had the black parkerized finish. These are very scarce. Brophy estimated that there were only 80 of them.

In my comments here I am addressing how the rifles were configured when they left SA as new items. Many 1922M1 Sales Variation rifles were quite likely returned by their owners to Springfield Armory to have the new M2 bolt installed.
    Last edited by Herschel; 02-27-2016 at 07:15.

6. Default

And don't forget the M1M2 variation, distinct from the 1922M1 with M2 bolt replaced.

Blog Entries

How do you identify the M1M2 Variation? What is the story of their origination?

8. Default

Briefly, these will have 1922M1 receivers, barrel dates of 1935-1937, NRA stocks and will be finished in very nice blued finish. Barrel dates well into the M2 time frame. I have one with both the 1922M1 bolt and M2 bolt, and the other with the M2 bolt. The two I have came from respectable sellers 10 years apart. I have discussed this with others, but to date have found no data describing this model.

9. Default

There are lots of variations 002.jpg003.jpg004.jpg005.jpg006.jpg

10. Default

Wow that one is sharp.