Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fouled bore

Default Fouled bore

I was at a gun show recently where a really beautiful M1917 Eddystone was presented for sale for $1250. That was way more than what I was willing to pay but since I was in the market for this model at the time, I asked to take a look at it just to see why the seller thought it was worth that kind of money. It appeared to have all Eddystone parts (as much as I could see without taking it apart) with a near perfect stock and lots of blue but the bore was fouled so completely that very little light from my bore light was able to penetrate from the receiver to the muzzle. The seller says the rifle was used in parades and shot blanks at events and funerals, etc. The exterior was well cared for but the bore was obviously never cleaned. I've never seen anything like it and wondered why he didn't attempt to clean it before offering it for sale. I gave him back his rifle and walked away thinking about what it would take to salvage that barrel or if it would even be possible. What a shame.
    Last edited by Merc; 03-03-2016 at 11:20.

Probably didn't want to clean it as it would have revealed a pitted bore due to the corrosive blanks of the past. Purchased a CMP/VFW return. Bore was so bad that rounds were keyholing at 25 yards!
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

I suppose a new barrel is the only alternative for the show rifle but unfortunately, that pretty much destroys the collector value.

What became of your CMP/VFW return?
    Last edited by Merc; 02-24-2016 at 06:20.

The bore was probably really bad. Cleaning it would show a junk barrel and he'd never get what he wanted.

Anyone trying to sell a gun for that price is mandatory that the bore be cleaned and it should have TE an MW measurements (Threat Erosion and Muzzle Wear for those new to this stuff)

All parts are mandatory to be ID, you are buying a piece of history.

And a caveat, when you hear a rifle has been used with blanks, the TE measurement becomes ubber critical.

As noted by Dan Shaperio, it will keyhole. My brother had one like that.

The barrel was actually fine, the MW measurement was good, he shot it and keyholes at 25.

He checked it out and you could not get a TE reading the erosion went so far up.

That is where the blanks eat it up, not sure on the rest (though my brothers looked good and the muzzle was good).

If its an all E, even with that damage it may be a collectable item, its not a shooter. But anyone that tries to sell it like that will not have taken it down and would like about the parts. For a 1917 there is one part in the safety group that is close to impossible to get out to see.

I did manage to get his to shoot a 4 inch group at 50 yds, took a 200 gr flat based bullet and ran it slow.

He sold it to a guy with the stated issues who wanted one of that type and was not concerned.

I'm not familiar with the term "keyholing."

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    I'm not familiar with the term "keyholing."
    The bullet starts to wobble in flight. In the most extreme form a near perfect sideway profile of the bullet will be printed in the target (assuming it gets anywhere near the target)

Only thing to do is plug the bore with fresh Hoppe's and let it soak overnight. Drain and run bore brush for 30 strokes and soak again.

Did that to my 17 and took three days to show me the rifling, turns out it was great and a good shooter.

PS: what date the barrel stamp [@muzzle below the front sight] it is consistent with SN range for that year??

For that price with a possible junk barrel, I'd pass!

Over the years I have "restored" parade rifles for the AL and at least one VFW post. Not one of those good looking rifles is worth that kind of money. Most are purty sure 'nuff and on occasion I matched as many M1917 E, R, and W parts as possible. After all I wasn't the first one to be doing maintenance on them. About half are worth their weight as decent shooters.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**