Thread: unknown bayonet

Default unknown bayonet

Hi All,
    I have a bayonet I received in a trade and I can't figure out what it is. I've posted some pics in the hope someone will recognize it and let me know what it is. I realize it's by no means a collectable. As you can see, it's been cut down and it doesn't have it's grips. It won't fit German Mausers, '03s, Krags, Jap T38 or T99s, Spanish Mausers or anything else I have. Does anyone recognize it?
    000_0162.jpg000_0164.jpg000_0165.jpg000_0166.jpg

"DaveL": It looks like a Winchester made bayonet for the (British) Pattern 1914 Enfield. (2-16 = February 1916 manufacture date / W = Winchester).

The rifle design started out as the Pattern 1913 (.276 caliber), but, was quickly changed to Pattern 1914 (.303 caliber), since the British did not want two calibers to supply, when WW1 broke out. These British rifle designs were to replace the Lee-Enfield, but, war changed all of that. The rifles were made only in the U. S A. by Winchester, Remington, and Eddystone. When the U. S. entered WW1, the design was revamped as the U. S. Model of 1917 (Enfield).

Your bayonet blade appears shortened and wrapped in parachute cord to make some kind of 'fighting knife'. (Unofficial IMHO).
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 02-23-2016 at 10:03.

Thanks Butlersrangers. Looking around the web shows me you are correct. Thanks again!