Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default What are these two holes for?

Hello to all. This weekend, I picked up an IHC M1 (4494510) that was originally sold through the CMP, I believe as a correct grade; the price from CMP back in 1999 was $750. At any rate, it's a nice all-correct rifle that appears to have seen a fair amount of use, and the various parts appear to have been together through all that use.

What prompted my question is the existence of two 1/16" holes approx. 1 inch apart on the base of the pistol grip, situated along the rifle's long axis, parallel with the bore. It's almost as if there was a brass rack number, or a rank insignia, or perhaps a unit distinctive attached there at some point. There are no other markings on the stock, other than the IHC crossed cannons, a circle P, and the julian date (OR 77 3) inside the barrel channel.

Has anybody else seen such a pair of holes, or might know what their significance might be?

I'm not exactly sure where you are talking about. But is could be from a grenade launcher sight. Also if it is on the bottom is could be some sort of rack tag but most of the time they were tacked on with small nails or staples. A picture would really help.

If on the base of the pistol grip it may have been a rack number on a disc.

4. Default

Yes, it is on the bottom of the pistol grip...sorry for any confusion. I've never seen rack numbers on brass (or any other metal) disc...who would these have been used by?

WAG reserves.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyo55 View Post
    Yes, it is on the bottom of the pistol grip...sorry for any confusion. I've never seen rack numbers on brass (or any other metal) disc...who would these have been used by?
    By the supply guy checking rifles in and out.

7. Default

Slight correction...the holes are 11/16" apart. The holes themselves are very regular and exactly 1/16" dia. They look drilled, rather than the holes left by a tack or nail.

A 1/16" hole is a very small hole. .0625". It is the drill size for a Number 2 screw though. That's a roughly 3/32" screw diameter. Probable still screw holes for a rack number. Peace time NCO's are big on stuff like that. That's where painting the assorted stampings comes from.
    11/16" would be about right for a 3/4" plate. It's going to be a WHAG anyway. Not even twisting the sight protectors will get one of the SOB's to talk. snicker.
    Spelling and grammar count!

9. Default

I measured the depth of the holes and they're both exactly 11/16". The holes themselves don't show any raised material at the edges, which would likely be present if a screw had ever filled them; it doesn't look like anything was ever attached there. The hole placement is very neat and even, as if done at the factory. I'm not suggesting they WERE factory drilled (I can't imagine why they would be), but it looks as if at the least a jig was used. Perplexing.

10. Default

The bottom flat of the pistol grip or on the curve before it flattens out? If that the case maybe they were pilot holes for the leather lace on cheek piece so it would be easier too screw into the stock and lock down?