Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
    I think a bore guide for a 1917 is going too far.

Not sure I buy it for any gun, but a 1917? Maybe the only plus is keeping dripping off the gun.

I have read dozens of methods of cleaning rifles, no two are the same. Common sense seems to indicate that a coated rod that is on bearings is the way to go. After that what is worse than a bullet craning alone at 2400 fps with erosive powder pushing it and heat and flames in the almost melt settle range?

They seemed to shoot just fine in the old days without a bore guide!
    The first center fire rifle I obtained was a Winchester P-14. I FRETTED about shooting the barrel out from regular use, and also the effect of corrosive ammo. A far more experienced hand instructed me in how to clean cordite residue out (next worst thing to black powder) and told me not to worry about shooting the bore out from over use. He was right, I've gone through a few thousand rounds of 303 surplus over the past 40 years. Cleaned it accordingly, and I can't see any significant wear in the bore. Still groups as well as it ever did.

I attended the famous Ohio Civil War Show in Mansfield, OH on Saturday. Anyone on this forum who lives within a day's drive of Mansfield should try to spend a day there. It's well worth the effort.

I spoke to the seller who handles thousands of collectible bullets and asked him if he was interested in buying 1953 RA 30-06 bullets and he declined saying that there's no market for them.

I was able to purchase a Winchester bayonet and scabbard and an old sling. Not much else to shop for, at least as far as the M1917 rifle is concerned.

Merc

Quote Originally Posted by kcw View Post
    The first center fire rifle I obtained was a Winchester P-14. I FRETTED about shooting the barrel out from regular use, and also the effect of corrosive ammo. A far more experienced hand instructed me in how to clean cordite residue out (next worst thing to black powder) and told me not to worry about shooting the bore out from over use. He was right, I've gone through a few thousand rounds of 303 surplus over the past 40 years. Cleaned it accordingly, and I can't see any significant wear in the bore. Still groups as well as it ever did.
    I'm glad that your P14 isn't showing any signs of wear. Their actions were among the strongest ever built and you have a thorough understanding of the cleaning required to prevent corrosion. I occasionally hear about worn M1917 barrels that cause problems such as keyholing, flyers, etc. but it's hard to say what caused all the wear since we'll never know the history of the rifle and the abuse it may have been exposed to in its early years.

I plan to have fun shooting all of my military rifles for hopefully many years to come. I always inspect the bore after each cleaning although it isn't a bad idea to occasionally check headspace and throat erosion. Barrels have a predictable life span depending on how many rounds have been fired through them. It would be interesting to know if there was something a gun owner could do to extend the life of a barrel.

Merc

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    It would be interesting to know if there was something a gun owner could do to extend the life of a barrel.
    Just spitballing here, but here are a few things that seem fairly obvious to me:

1. Limit the round count through your "historic" barrels. Restrict your high-volume shooting shooting to rifles with modern barrels that can easily be replaced.
    2. Clean the bores of old barrels carefully, avoiding harsh solvents and cleaning methods. Thoroughly remove any corrosive by-products.
    3. When storing old rifles for long periods, coat the bores thoroughly with a good, rust-inhibiting grease. Store in a proper environment.
    4. Shoot only non-jacketed, lead bullets through the bores you wish to protect and, when possible, shoot lower pressure rounds.

What do others have to say on the matter?
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

Joe,

All valid points especially limiting round count. My goal this year is to control the urge to keep on firing away at the range. Last time out, I brought my M1917 Winchester and my 1944 Enfield No. 4 Mk 1*. I fired five rounds through each rifle, consistently hit the target, packed up and went home. Last year, I probably would have fired a box of twenty through each rifle. The urge to keep shooting is still there but now it's time to consider the barrel life. This year, fewer trips to the range and five rounds per rifle, max.

Merc

Quote Originally Posted by fguffey View Post
    Interesting sight. Collecting cartridges is a lot like collecting stamps. Where do you draw the line?

Merc