Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Reloading 101 for the M1903 Springfield

Lest we forget.

warning.jpg
    "Wars are, of course, as a rule to be avoided; but they are far better than certain kinds of peace." - T.R.

2. Default

Does that mean if you are intelligent that they won't?

jt

I was over in Dallas a couple of weeks ago and they had a bunch of low number 03's including some 4 digits. Most were rebuilt with newer barrels but all were over $1,000. This was somewhat surprising as their 03A3s were around 795-850. Now I know Jackson is high dollar and claims to cater to the collector more than to the shooter but I was kind of blown away by the money these older guns are going for. Back in the 60's you could buy a high number 03 for $39.95 and the low number would be like $29.95.

I don't own any low number O3s but if I did I think I would not shoot them. Reason being my only use for one would be shooting CMP or recreation fire so I'd just use a high number. Now if I win the lottery will I add some low numbers? You betcha but right after I buy a good NM!
    Last edited by Griff Murphey; 02-22-2016 at 06:55.

This reoccurring issue and discussion with the low #'s is really a non-issue for me, as I own merely one M1903 and I am sure it doesn't fall into the "low #" category. I have paid attention to the discussion, however, since it affects folks here that do own one. Like most things, it seems to boil down to personal preference. But, from a reloading standpoint (and that was my point with this gag, Marine A5), I load down for all my old guns. I didn't buy them to shoot terribly flat or far. Only an idiot would push the limits when loading for an older gun. One of my Swedish Mausers turns 100 years old this year! And, with tolerable and proven loads, it can keep on truckin' so my son can enjoy it in the distant future, as well.
    Last edited by Liam; 02-22-2016 at 07:19.
    "Wars are, of course, as a rule to be avoided; but they are far better than certain kinds of peace." - T.R.

You can be a Mensa member and still have a low numbered receiver blow. Reloading or not isn't the issue though. The issue is the heat treating of said receivers was done by determining the temperatures by eye vs a gauge. On a bright sunny day the temperature of the steel could be as much as 300 degrees higher than on a cloudy day. Made the receivers brittle.
    Improved heat treatment for SA made rifles started at 800,000. Number 285,507 for RI rifles.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    <snip>... But, from a reloading standpoint (and that was my point with this gag, Marine A5), I load down for all my old guns. I didn't buy them to shoot terribly flat or far. Only an idiot would push the limits when loading for an older gun. ...<snip>
    Yes, that's my approach with my older rifles, too. Whether it's an M1, an M1903 or a .30/40 Krag, I keep the loads down to a fairly light level. It lets me enjoy the rifles without undue risk.
    Quote Originally Posted by P.J. O'Rourke; The Liberty Manifesto
    There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences.

I understand and have read all the warnings about low number receivers.
    But, if a new barrel is installed would that new barrel hold the the pressure of say a 30-06 so that the receiver would not shatter?
    Seeing good barrels installed in poly/aluminum receivers they seem to hold up (ARs).

I think the problem occurs when gas escapes a failed cartridge case out the sides or the back through a split head or through a pierced primer and is instantly released into the receiver and bolt at 55,000 pounds per square inch. Double heat treated and nickel receivers can handle that better and tend to hold together, even when the brass is turned into a gas from extreme pressure. Although the stocks can be shattered, the bolts and receiver and barrels have a much better chance of holding together. Not so single heat treated receivers. They will come apart and explode right in the shooters face like a pipe bomb. A Pipe Bomb. I'll be willing to bet that there are some guys on this forum who can tell you how suddenly and unexpectedly a cartridge failure will occur. I guess everything is just OK and great until it ain't. Who knows why some ammunition is full of flaws. Something in the factory maybe.
    Anyway that's all that it takes, a flawed cartridge case.
    Last edited by Fred; 02-24-2016 at 06:10.

Alum receivers work in AR design because the bolt locks into recesses in the steel barrel itself, not the receiver.

I have a bunch of old (er) rifles and pistols. I reload for them and keep the loads at a minimum to make sure I don't have a squib. Some of these are over 100 years old and others are getting close. I see no reason to beat up a old gun that can't be replaced easily.