Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim in Salt Lake View Post
    +1 on the new barrel if it's a shooter. For 100-200 yard loads, I've been using Sierra's 125gr Matchking. It's a flat based bullet originally intended for .300 Blackout. I like to load them for a velocity of 2300-2400fps, makes for a great Vintage Rifle match load. They're nice especially for sitting and prone rapid, the recoil doesn't change your position.
    I tried the 125 TNT without much luck. I'll have to give these a shot. What is your recipe?
    Last edited by PhillipM; 02-23-2016 at 01:17.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Making the old barrel shoot is a challenge. The only thing I really don't like is the counter bore. If I have to I might try a Critirion. on it. I looked them up ,and I can get one for around $200. I only paid $250 for the rifle, but I had to buy a rear sight for it. I found some 200 grain flat base hollow point bullets for it and loaded ten of them just off the lands. If it will quiet raining I will see how it does .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tbryan View Post
    Making the old barrel shoot is a challenge. The only thing I really don't like is the counter bore. If I have to I might try a Critirion. on it. I looked them up ,and I can get one for around $200. I only paid $250 for the rifle, but I had to buy a rear sight for it. I found some 200 grain flat base hollow point bullets for it and loaded ten of them just off the lands. If it will quiet raining I will see how it does .
    I've never had a counterbored rifle, but I have had a couple of 03's with sewer pipe barrels. On both I spent nearly the cost of a new barrel trying to make them shoot. One, my sporter 03A3, would do okay when properly copper fouled, but it was only for a little while. I found an aftermarket segley sporter barrel for it and had chuckindenver screw it on and refinish the rifle and have not looked back.

The other was a funeral home gun that shot corrosive blanks. Nothing I tried would make it shoot. A new barrel ended my frustration. Like Townsend Whelen said, "Only accurate rifles are interesting."
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

This bore is just not that bad. It is dark, but has strong lands. I have a shooter/machinist here that is altering a tool to reach in and touch up the crown. I have a 94 Win. in 38-55 that has the worst barrel I have ever owned. I gave up on it finally, and am having it relined. The Enfield has it's original barrel still, and I might go the relining route with it, but first I will play with it some more. I realize that 3 inches out of a 98 year old barrel is not so bad, but you never know. I will try the flat base bullets this weekend.

Blog Entries

Dark is rust pits by another name. You may try some of the abrasive bullets like Tubb's final finish.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)

6. Default

Hey Phillip,

Last time out, I used 38.0gr of Varget. Varget is pretty dang hard to find now, it's the long range powder of choice and all those shooters are after it. I've also used 37.3gr of IMR 4895. Both these loads are below minimum. I started with the minimum loads and worked down until I hit 2400fps and didn't have any problems on the way.

If you are going to stay in the Mil Surplus rifle area it would be a good idea to get a Throat Erosion Muzzle Wear gauge from Steven Mathews.

If the throat is gone you may not get any better results. I am happy with 4 or 5 inches at 100 using iron sights.

Hornady does make a 180 gr flat based bullet that can work. Also you can try 303 bullets that have a larger diameter. I have had good luck with 4350, 4831 , R17. I take them about .030 off the lands. I don't go by the book as the 1917 tends to be shorter than a 1903.

that said 3 inches at 100 is pretty darned good.

What I would do is pick you best load and then adjust COAL. Try finding the lands first (get a Hornady comparator gauge for that is my best tool) and then set back.

what I do is go long, take my old RCBSD Junior press to the range with me, bolt it to a bench and then I can seat the bullets back a bit at a time.

I use a completion seating die for that as you can dial it down in known increments.
    Last edited by RC20; 02-27-2016 at 10:27.

I think the throat might be bad. It won't consistently shoot 3 inches. The flat base 200 grain bullets didn't do much, and I bought a box of 150 Hornadays today. The hunt continues.

Quote Originally Posted by tbryan View Post
    I think the throat might be bad. It won't consistently shoot 3 inches. The flat base 200 grain bullets didn't do much, and I bought a box of 150 Hornadays today. The hunt continues.
    Are you getting consistently "round" groupings? No "flyers" going off any which way on a predictable basis (ie. one out of five?) What powder/charge wt. are you using? Is it possible to recover any spent bullets so as to look for evidence of issues such as "blow-by"?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim in Salt Lake View Post
    Hey Phillip,

Last time out, I used 38.0gr of Varget. Varget is pretty dang hard to find now, it's the long range powder of choice and all those shooters are after it. I've also used 37.3gr of IMR 4895. Both these loads are below minimum. I started with the minimum loads and worked down until I hit 2400fps and didn't have any problems on the way.
    Thank you, I never thought to go that low.

What are your thoughts on the powder charge laying even against the bullet, or against the primer? Mag or std primers?
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)