Default Second owner Krag

I am the second owner of this Krag which I bought it 1980. A man in his eighties sold it to me who got it from his father in 1911, when he was a teen ager. His father bought a crate of them for his gun club at $1.75 each. I have his bill of sale testifying to it. It is not a rare model, being an 1898 made in 1902, but the condition is very nice. The fellow who sold it to me said that he doubted that he put 10 rounds through it.
    I would imagine this is as close to "mint" as one could expect. DSC_0044.jpgDSC_0035.jpgDSC_0050.jpgDSC_0048.jpg
    Of course, if you consider that the US Government was the first owner, then I guess I am the third.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's about as good as it gets!

jn

3. Default

Nice, I like history!
    Steve
    The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson

Sweet!!! Now get registered for the National Vintage Match at Perry!!!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

I like that rifle

6. Default

What rear sight does it have? I have a 1902 made and it has a 1901 sight.
    Fred Pillot
    Captain
    San Jose Zouaves

7. Default

Based on picture #3 and the shadows in picture #4 I will guess 1901

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Butts View Post
    Based on picture #3 and the shadows in picture #4 I will guess 1901
    You and Fred are right, it has a 1901 sight and a 1902 cartouche. I can post additional pictures, but the original posting would only take what you see. I will not be shooting this one. I have a number of other Krags I can (and do) shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Pillot View Post
    What rear sight does it have? I have a 1902 made and it has a 1901 sight.
    As most Krags went through some form of Arsenal rebuild or update, you really could see either regardless of the build date or cartouche. If it was regular Army, it's likely to have the 1901 sight, and it seems that National Guard rifles have more 1902 sights. It's really just a turkey shoot though...
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

wow. Time machine. That's incredible
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.