Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Price check

1. Default Price check

Saw a very nice Winchester P17, all original. 98%. Rifling is sharp but grooves a little dark. What price range would cover it? Has a period sling.

2. Default

Really need more info. Are all the parts blued or are some parkerized? Rebuild stamps? Do all the parts look like they have been on the rifle a long time? Is all the wear consistant with each other? I have two winchesters that are imports. One is almost all winchester but many of the small parts are parkerized from what I assume is a post WW1 refinishing. The other is
    a complete mixmaster.

If the barrel is serviceable, the bottom $ is $650-$700. Depending on rebuild/refinish situation, a blued original with all Win parts is looking at $1000+. Just what I see at the shows. Regards, Clark

4. Default

The rifle is all blued, 1916 barrel date. Red banded forearm and handguard, lend lease. Blue is even, wood matches. Typical gunshow lighting, can barely see the floor. Guy lives about hour and a half so I'll call him next week if he still has it and I can do a proctologist type exam.

You could expect to pay $100 or more for an original period leather sling depending on condition.

The 1916 bbl date, and red banded stock lead me to believe you have a P14 rather than a 1917.....My $.02....

The red bands were put on rifles sent to England as Lend-Lease that were not British caliber, like the M1 Rifle, M1903, or M1917 rifles. Be sure the date isn't 1918 rather than 1916, and it sounds more like a Model 1917 Rifle. Almost 120,000 Model 1917 rifles were sent to England as Lend-Lease during WWII.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    Almost 120,000 Model 1917 rifles were sent to England as Lend-Lease during WWII.
    Over 3/4 million M-1917s went to England.

Quote Originally Posted by 5MadFarmers View Post
    Over 3/4 million M-1917s went to England.
    Table LL-14 Quantities of selected items included in War Department Lend-Lease shipments, 1941-1945, United States Army in World War II - Statistics, Office of the Chief of Military History, Special; Staff, U.S. Army, Historical Manuscript File, pp. 28-29, RG, WNRC.

Slow down and read the post before you start using your own figures. The post said LEND-LEASE, and 119,000 rifles were Lend-Leased to England. The largest number of Model 1917 rifles that went to England were purchased by the British Purchasing Commission.

Are you planning to shoot the '17? If yes, then just an external inspection won't tell you if the rifle has excessive wear. First, I'd check the date on the barrel and compare it to the serial number date. If possible, check for muzzle erosion and headspace to make sure both are within specs. The gauges required to perform these tests are inexpensive, generally available and something you can do yourself.

Oh, and I found the prices mentioned by Clark Howard to be generally accurate.

The headspace gauge should be a "field" gauge.
    Last edited by Merc; 09-08-2016 at 04:33.