Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Warbrds also mentioned that M1917 stocks came in tall, medium and short lengths in his earlier posting. That has me wondering if any stocks marked with a M or S are out there and how much of a size difference exists among the three sizes. Why three sizes were offered is another good question.

Three different sizes of the M1917 stocks would make sense since the rifle is such a monster. You have to wonder how 145 pound doughboys hauled them around France.

The OEM probably shortened up the butt stock end to vary the length. Haven't heard of anyone finding a M or S yet. Everyone who looks at the rifle with a T stock comments on the size of it (46").

4. Default New aquisition with "T"

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    The OEM probably shortened up the butt stock end to vary the length. Haven't heard of anyone finding a M or S yet. Everyone who looks at the rifle with a T stock comments on the size of it (46").
    Just purchased a Remington Model 1917 yesterday. The stock has the "T" stamped on the front face. Also stamped left side in a outlined box OEL with 1919 underneath the 3 initials. All the stamping are in the square outlined box. The length in 46". The LOP is 13-3/8", serial number is 78694 bbl date is 9-18 gun is all Remington marked except rear sight spring "E", bolt release lever "E", and safety marked with "E". Could Remington have used "E" stamped parts in early production if they were short on "R" stamped parts? Also the OEL and 1919 is markings that I cannot google search info on. The bore is mint/ pristine. There is a "V" stamped forward of the floorplate on the underneath of the stock and there is a "BK" stamped behind the trigger guard in the wood. wood all matches with color and finish. Would say that all wood is original to when issued. There is a "R" stamped under the top front hand guard. I have not taken the gun further apart to verify any other stampings. All parts that I have viewed ( 75%) have the "R" stampings other than the ones noted. I do not think that the gun has been blasted as the WWII guns but it is a parkerized finish. Any questions out there to my gun are welcome and I can add pictures later if needed. I did purchase a couple 1917 books off of ebay for a great deal as well as this 1917. This is my first Model 1917 and would like to authenticate it as much as possible. Hope my gun will help others with information. Cell at 310-508-1827 Etienne

Harrison identifies OEL / 1919 in a rectangular box as a Rock Island Arsenal post WW1 acceptance mark that "may indicate rework or check and test only". No indication has been found that any of the three 1917 manufacturers ever exchanged parts. HTH
    Last edited by IditarodJoe; 04-11-2016 at 08:02.
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

Quote Originally Posted by missmodel12 View Post
    Just purchased a Remington Model 1917 yesterday. The stock has the "T" stamped on the front face. Also stamped left side in a outlined box OEL with 1919 underneath the 3 initials. All the stamping are in the square outlined box. The length in 46". The LOP is 13-3/8", serial number is 78694 bbl date is 9-18 gun is all Remington marked except rear sight spring "E", bolt release lever "E", and safety marked with "E". Could Remington have used "E" stamped parts in early production if they were short on "R" stamped parts? Also the OEL and 1919 is markings that I cannot google search info on. The bore is mint/ pristine. There is a "V" stamped forward of the floorplate on the underneath of the stock and there is a "BK" stamped behind the trigger guard in the wood. wood all matches with color and finish. Would say that all wood is original to when issued. There is a "R" stamped under the top front hand guard. I have not taken the gun further apart to verify any other stampings. All parts that I have viewed ( 75%) have the "R" stampings other than the ones noted. I do not think that the gun has been blasted as the WWII guns but it is a parkerized finish. Any questions out there to my gun are welcome and I can add pictures later if needed. I did purchase a couple 1917 books off of ebay for a great deal as well as this 1917. This is my first Model 1917 and would like to authenticate it as much as possible. Hope my gun will help others with information. Cell at 310-508-1827 Etienne
    Some day someone will tell us who "T" was. The stock on my M1917 has no other marks other than the T and appears to have been stained but no linseed oil so it has a dull unfinished look.

Serial number 78694 stamped on the receiver indicates it was manufactured in 2/1918. There's a possibility that the barrel was replaced if it carries the date 9/18 on the muzzle as those dates were usually a lot closer.

You'll most likely will continue to find a mix of parts as you disassemble your rifle. It wasn't unusual for parts to get mixed during mass cleanings or when replacement parts were needed. Most non-R parts will work just fine while others may work ok but won't fit exactly right. R, E and W never completely achieved total parts interchangeability. R parts are easily found on eBay or on-line parts dealers (Springfield Sporters, Numrich, etc.).

Go to www.m1903.com and look under Marks in the left column for M1917 Parts. The list will tell where the OEM's initials were stamped.

If you're planning to shoot it, either have a gunsmith check it with a headspace field gauge or buy one and check it yourself. There's a way to check for throat erosion on this forum. Go to Mauser Rifles and go to Spanish Mauser 7X57 Reloads.

Merc
    Last edited by Merc; 04-11-2016 at 10:25.

One of my Eddy stones also has a T struck ,off to the right of a lightly struck fairly large E

Quote Originally Posted by mannparks View Post
    One of my Eddy stones also has a T struck ,off to the right of a lightly struck fairly large E
    It's still an original Eddystone if there's an E stamped on the stock. Could it be an inspector's mark?

Merc

Quote Originally Posted by missmodel12 View Post
    If your serial number is 78,000 range and the rifle is parkerized then it's been rebuilt and refinished for WW2. There were WW1 rifles that were parkerized but those were towards the end of production and not early on like yours. About the first 3/4 of production were all blued. As to the parts changed between makers. The answer is no they all used their own parts. Parts will generally interchange except for the very early Winchesters.

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    Some day someone will tell us who "T" was.
    Perhaps they'll know the significance of the little heart shaped marking following the R on the tip of a Remington stock. Nobody has a clue so far. Only wish I still had the photo of it. The rifle has been long gone.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**