Thread: P-14 Enfield

Thumbs up P-14 Enfield

Hi, I have a fine P-14 Enfield. The online sights say it was made in 1917 but the barrel is marked '16. I tend to believe the barrel marking.? Ser.no.11035x. Also can anyone de-cypher the stock disk marked HP, a ''I'' or a ''1'' and a'' x'' with a bar across the top and 67.? Thanks for any help.
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Richardrose View Post
    Hi, I have a fine P-14 Enfield. The online sights say it was made in 1917 but the barrel is marked '16. I tend to believe the barrel marking.? Ser.no.11035x. Also can anyone de-cypher the stock disk marked HP, a ''I'' or a ''1'' and a'' x'' with a bar across the top and 67.? Thanks for any help.
    Rich
    Rifle is E.R.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Richardrose View Post
    Rich
    The notation(s) on the disc are commonly unit and/or rack designations. For example the disc on my P14 reads RAF over J 10. Obviously a Royal Air Force gun, likely stored in rack J, slot 10 at whatever installation it was on. If you remove the disc, you may find it stamped with a previously used notation. As the Brits gave away many P14's as military aid, the disc marking on your rifle may not even be English language based.

5. Default

My guess on the dates would be late 1916 produced barrel, then assembled to rifle and serialed in 1917