Thread: LMR barrel

Cool LMR barrel

Hi, I have a 1943 Springfield M1 that has a L.M.R . barrel. I understand it has been re-barreled. When did they start using LMR barrels ?Bore is bright and gages 2-2. I have seen they are well thought of as shooters. Any information on them will be welcome.
    Regards
    Rich

As I remember LMR began production in the later part of '52. They are most commonly associated with IHC production but were also original on HRA's as well and excess production was used in rebuilds also. I have owned several M-1s that had LMR barrels, both originals and post Korean war rebuilds, but the neatest is a six digit Type 2 NM with an original LMR barrel.

According to Bruce N. Canfield ( The M1 Garand Rifle page 496), Line Material Corp. received a contract in Apr. of 1951 to produce Carbine barrels. Before any Carbine barrels could be produced, the demand for M1 rifle barrels was deemed to be of a higher priority and LMR's contract as revised for the manufacture of M1 Rifle barrels instead. In June 1952, LMR shipped twenty five (25) sample barrels to SA for testing and began quantity production of M1 rifle barrels in the fall of 1952. LMR was soon shipping some 12000 barrels a month to various ordnance depots for use in the rebuilding programs. LMR's barrel contract drew to a close in 1955. During this time LMR also supplied barrels to IHC and HRA.