Default N.O.S. Smith & Wesson Model 64-3

I was at a local pawn shop that sometimes has interesting stuff and in the display case was a vintage Model 64 new in the box. The dealer told me that it had been bought many years ago by a fellow who brought it home, put it up, and never shot it. When he died his wife brought it in and sold it. A thorough inspection it was as advertised, not a bit of carbon anywhere. The box still contained all of the papers, though not the wax paper wrapping and the container with the cleaning rod and brush was still sealed. I opened the cylinder and it was marked 64-3 so it was the end of the line for Smith & Wesson revolvers with pinned barrels and grooved triggers. I'm not going to lie and say it was a steal, the dealer wanted $700.00 for it which I wouldn't pay but he marked it down to $650.00 and we had a deal. Upon closer inspection the tab for the warranty was still in the box showing it had been originally bought January 10, 1982.

I had been in the market for a good "K" frame since all I have are "N" or "J" frame "Smiths," and to me this was the chance to get a really, really good one at a not cheap but not totally out of line price.

I took it to the range today to break it in a little. I fired five 158 gr. Federal LRN at a bull at 25 yards from a rest and they hit dead center as they should since these guns were regulated for 158 gr. ammunition. Those Federals were so smoky I thought I was in a Western. Five rounds of Remington +P 158 gr. SWCHPs produced the same result. I then ran 5 Federal 110 gr. +P+ Treasury Loads through it and as expected they hit 3"-4" low. I then shot the rest of the box of Federals through it double action at about 10 yards and when I did my part, which was most of the time, it held the 3" x 4" "X" ring of the modified NYPD silhouette currently used by I.C.E. Not to bad at all, I'd say.

While there I did an experiment. I have an R.I.A. .38 Super Automatic on the way so I had bought some .38 Super ammo in anticipation of getting it. I had heard that .38 Super because of the semi-rim would chamber, fire, extract and eject in a .357 Magnum revolver. They're supposed to chamber in .38 Special too but shooting them in a .38 Special isn't recommended for pressure reasons. Now the article said not all .38 Supers would chamber, it depended on manufacturer. I also learned that .32 Auto, another semi rimmed auto pistol cartridge will chamber and fire in 32 H&R and .327 Magnum revolvers. Well I found that out of the three manufactures whose ammo I had on hand the Cor Bon and Fiocci would chamber in my Model 28 but the Remington would not. While at the range I loaded one Fiocci and one Cor Bon in my Model 28 and set them off. Recoil was mild as you would imagine, the bullets went where I aimed them, and the empties extracted and ejected cleanly.

CIMG1240.jpgCIMG1242.jpgCIMG1243.jpgCIMG1244.jpg
    Last edited by Art; 02-15-2016 at 04:52.

Nice find.

3. Default

We see some interesting things at the range during Sight In Days. One guy sighted in his .300 Weatherby using .300 Winchester ammo because he "wanted to save the expensive stuff for hunting". .270 in '06, 30/30 in .32 Special. It works, and in extremis I would hesitate to do it. Bet your .38 Super in a .357 would do what was necessary.

You're getting a Rock Island .38 Super? How about a report after the shake down.

That's an envious find; congratulations.
    Last edited by barretcreek; 02-18-2016 at 05:08.