1. Default 80% 1911 receivers in California?

With the 80% receivers that you can finish but can not put a s/n on by Federal law, it can't be registered in California.
    So, would it be against California law to even finish one in California?
    Thanks for any knowledge of this.
    Fred Pillot
    Captain
    San Jose Zouaves

I suppose then that you would have to have a firearms manufacturers license to build any firearm. Then maybe you could put serial numbers on your builds?
    Alot of people are building 1911s, AR15s, AK firearms and more. I'm sure most don't have a permit to build from the Feds.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
    I suppose then that you would have to have a firearms manufacturers license to build any firearm. Then maybe you could put serial numbers on your builds?
    Alot of people are building 1911s, AR15s, AK firearms and more. I'm sure most don't have a permit to build from the Feds.
    Federal law says as long as you build it for yourself and never sell it, you can build your own gun and not be an FFL and no serial number required.

I don't know about California state law.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Used to be legal there. Friends and I went in and split up the costs of the tooling, we each built one, and it was just fine with DOJ. We were all machinists working in the same shop. No one made more than one, and they were all different on one way or another. Can't sell, give away, or transfer to someone else, it was a ATF tax issue only at the time. We even did the same with AR-15's before the ban, same thing. I ended up holding the tooling because I had a home machine shop, others didn't. Can be willed to someone when you pass, that doesn't apply to anything like a AR-15 now, even with pre-ban paperwork. Some of us stamped our names, where made, and a number on the frames so they could be identified by the cops if stolen. ( one was over the years ) That information is 10 years + old. I'd had enough of the California crap, when I retired pulled up my retirement and moved from that place for good as fast as I could. I can sure imagine laws changing during that time considering the crap they pull in Sacramento. Before starting that project now, I'd give the DOJ a call and cover yourself with a letter or something in writing. Dealing with them in the past, I can say when talking to them you get wrong answers from them just as often as not. Be careful with a project like this in California.
    Chris
    Last edited by Chris W.; 02-28-2016 at 04:56.