Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default M1905 sights, 2800yd shoots

Greetings:

Since the M1905 sights for the 1903 Springfield rifles were set for an extreme range shot in the 2800yrd range. How about some of you guys out in the west, where's enough room... trying some 2800yrd iron sight shots at a nice big bull and showing the results.

I suspect you'd have to make up something in the range of a 60in X ring.

But it'd be interesting to see a grouping at that range.

RHB

As they say in England "Bully".

3. Default

The Marine that killed "Black Fritz" (WWI) did so with one shot through the head at 1500 yards after "Black Fritz" shot him in the leg at the same distance. Marine Pvt Roland Fisher killed six Germans with six consecutive shots at 1400 yards at Le Mare Farm (bunch of witnesses - WWI). I find these kind of shots to be amazing to say the least, scope or open sights. I would love to see such a demonstration as you suggest. It is like the 600 yard running elk shots by Elmer Keith (he hit the elk twice), which requires in excess of 37 feet of holdover. I have no doubt Elmer did it (Elmer is one of my heroes), but it is such an amazing feat one just wants to see it done in person.

Remember the bow guy who killed the Dall Sheep by shooting an arrow over a ridge when he couldn't see the Sheep? I saw that shot on TV back in the 50's or 60's. He was preparing to loose the arrow when the Sheep went over the crest, he hesitated a second or so and let fly. They found the sheep dead just over the ridge. Can't remember his name now, but he shot just about every game animal on earth and had a line of bows he marketed under his own name, and his own TV show.

I will say this, a friend and I paced off 600 yards from a 6 foot wide caliche rock, and using a 44 mag (him) and a 45 Long Colt (me), we had little trouble walking our rounds into that rock and then hitting it more often than not (we could see the dust fly when it hit the caliche). We used the Keith stance of leaning back against a mesquite tree and steadying the pistol against the outside of our right bent knee. Try it some time. You will amaze yourself.

jt
    Last edited by Marine A5 Sniper Rifle; 02-12-2016 at 12:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard H Brown Jr View Post
    Greetings:

Since the M1905 sights for the 1903 Springfield rifles were set for an extreme range shot in the 2800yrd range. How about some of you guys out in the west, where's enough room... trying some 2800yrd iron sight shots at a nice big bull and showing the results.

I suspect you'd have to make up something in the range of a 60in X ring.

But it'd be interesting to see a grouping at that range.

RHB
    The guys that fool around with the Chey Tac systems had been known to use the foothills above my place for shots such as you describe. They're getting it done, but with super-duper, double throw-down, high speed gidgets that measure every meteorological tidbit that they could think of, including the borealis effect, and maybe even your astrological information into a handheld computer that interfaces with a 6-24Xone gazillion super scope, spotters, and maybe even a satellite feed, and they don't do too bad of a job out that far. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkfWj1LapTo
    I'd always been of the opinion that the 2800 yard notch on an 03 was for "volley fire", where you'd get a bunch of Doughboys together, pick out a target, and have them all launch a bunch of .30 caliber mortar rounds, much like an ancient Korean Hwacha, to try to keep someone's head down way out there..... Coulda been misinformed, though. It's happened before.
    Last edited by Darreld Walton; 02-13-2016 at 05:26.

Blog Entries

A friend's father told him of a WW1 battle where there was a farmhouse being used by the hunt as an artillery spotting post. The American artillery couldn't come up due to the mud and they had no machine guns, so an officer ranged the farmhouse (wish I had one of those rangefinders) and from about 2000 yards they volley fired. Upon later inspection, they tore the house and it's occupants to shreds.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

I have a M1876 Danish rifle with volley sights on it. As near as I can figure the volley sight could be set for 10,000 krona's or what ever distance that is. a 4 or 500 grain lead bullet falling on somebody would have to disable them.

Sorry Folks:

What I meant to say is using the upper 'U' sight on the sliding bar on the M1905 Sight on the M1903 Springfield for the max distance on it, which, looking back at this document: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3v.../view?ths=true is 2750yrds. NOT repeat NOT the U notch volley sight on the top cross-member of the ladder.

RHB

Quote"Remember the bow guy who killed the Dall Sheep by shooting an arrow over a ridge when he couldn't see the Sheep? I saw that shot on TV back in the 50's or 60's. He was preparing to loose the arrow when the Sheep went over the crest, he hesitated a second or so and let fly. They found the sheep dead just over the ridge. Can't remember his name now, but he shot just about every game animal on earth and had a line of bows he marketed under his own name, and his own TV show" Quote

That was Fred Bear, one of the top instinctive shooters of his time. I have a collection of his older bows with the exotic wood risers.
    On topic though, would be fun to have a place with that kind of range to reach out and experiment a bit.
    Last edited by pickax; 02-15-2016 at 08:36.

9. Default

Thanks,pickax. That's the guy.

jt

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipM View Post
    A friend's father told him of a WW1 battle where there was a farmhouse being used by the hunt as an artillery spotting post. The American artillery couldn't come up due to the mud and they had no machine guns, so an officer ranged the farmhouse (wish I had one of those rangefinders) and from about 2000 yards they volley fired. Upon later inspection, they tore the house and it's occupants to shreds.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Fred; 02-16-2016 at 05:44.