Thread: new member

1. Default new member

Hello
    I'M new to the forum. i purchased a 1898 Krag rifle 120308 about ten years ago, and shot it a few times, purchase a 1898 bayonet with scabbard. and was lucky to get Frank Mallory's Krag book (don't know what edition). what is this SRS? Are you able to track its history?
    thanks Jet
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome sir. If your question can be answered, it will be here. The only thing I know about the Krag is its a beautiful hunk of steel and wood. Again, welcome aboard.
    Democrat: A person too stupid to know they're a communist.

If you heard my shot, I wasn't aiming at you.

Howdy Jet! The SRS stands for Springfield Research Service, and they usually refer to records of the rifles produced by Springfield. Unfortunately, a great deal of the records were lost in a fire, so what is available is very limited. Still, you might be one of the lucky ones to get a hit.

Damn fine looking Krag you have there! Are you planning on shooting in the Nationals in July, or the Roosevelt Match in August? Also, did you get my message regarding your request for chargers?
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Another lost Krag heard from. Welcome home!

jn

SRS is a private organization which looks thru old government files and records for mentions of specific US weapons. There was no uniform system of keeping track of US military weapons of any period so its sort of 'hit or miss'. Usually a 'miss'! You must be a member to find if they have anything on your rifle, they also publish a newsletter I believe. They used to have an on-line site and published a serious of books with numbers they have found reference to. That stopped when original owner died. These books are still around and if you give the serial number here someone may say if you have a 'hit'. But they are older books and more research has been done since, I think.
    For instance I have a Krag carbine with a 'hit', mentioned in an Inspector Generals report of an Army post in 1899. Co. H, 1st. Cav. They left for Philippines the following month. It is just a 'snap shot' in time! May add some value to the carbine, maybe not.
    You can never go home again.

If your Mallory doesn't have the SRS books Krag information in the back it's a first edition.
    A man with a sword may talk of peace.A man with out a sword may talk of peace,but he must talk very fast indeed.