1. Default Benicia Arsenal Rebuild Stamps

Does anyone have a selection of pictures of typical 1903/1903A3 Benicia Arsenal rebuild stamps? I need for comparison...I believe the Benicia Arsenal "BA" is larger than the typical "OGEK", "AA", "RRA" cartouches typically seen on a post WWII rebuild. I am trying to verify that is true. Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by SPEEDGUNNER; 02-09-2016 at 11:05.
    "There's a race of men that don't fit in,
    A race that can't stay still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin,
    And they roam the world at will." - Robert Service

Blog Entries

The only one that I have.

"We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

5. Default

Thanks. Are the Benicia stamps always in the horizontal format shown "BA-XX"? Would they ever be

BA
    XX

with the XX being two numerals as opposed to letters?
    "There's a race of men that don't fit in,
    A race that can't stay still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin,
    And they roam the world at will." - Robert Service

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SPEEDGUNNER View Post
    Thanks. Are the Benicia stamps always in the horizontal format shown "BA-XX"? Would they ever be

BA
    XX

with the XX being two numerals as opposed to letters?
    I've seen Carbines with BA/JPL and etc.

Seems like the WW2 inspection stamps went vertical and the pre-war were horizontal...but more observations should be confirmed.

Yes, there were those in "two stage" format" - post-WWII.

I've studied the POD stamp - Philippine Ordnance Depot, pre-WWII - and virtually all of the stocks also had a Benecia Arsenal stamp, as well. It appears that any rifles sent to the Philippines were inspected and prepared for shipment at Benecia Arsenal.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Default POD stamp

Here is a photo of the POD rebuild stamp that Rick was talking about in the above postP1010034_1_0030_030.jpg

FWIW. the large horizontal format stamp, such as [BA-WJ] is common on Krags as well as 1903s. Personally, I have never seen a vertical format version.

Both the BA over JPL in a box and BA over CAB in a box were used by Benicial Arsenal - mostly found on M1 rifle & carbine stocks