Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

The problem is the ones who have the FAKE PARTS made read these forums too. The parts have been getting better each year because of information that has been posted in the past. You have at least three major rip off artists already selling fake parts as real. A real rear type 1 rear sight is now hundreds of dollars and these people are selling fake made in China sights at the same prices telling new collectors their parts are real. They are selling fake stocks, barrel bands, rear sights and now hammers as being real. Safeties and magazine catches are also on the fake list and the list is growing each year. Now do you understand why information is not posted on line? Oh and I almost forgot the fake stamps for the stocks and other parts. I seem to remember that the M1 stocks are also hit with fake stamps?

A reasonable price for the Inland can be from $1200 to $2500. It's what ever the market will bare. You have to decide how much it would be worth to you and how much you can really afford to put into it.
    Last edited by Tuna; 02-01-2016 at 07:52.

"...The problem is the ones who have the FAKE PARTS made read these forums too. The parts have been getting better each year because of information t..."

While I understand the concern about educating fakers, the other side is that how can honest collectors increase their knowledge, and thus enjoyment, of carbine collecting if nobody will educate them?

Statements about not discussing problems/fake parts also sound elitist. Like the person wants to show off their "special knowledge". I can think of few things that would drive me away from a forum faster than being told I do not qualify to receive "special knowledge".

I agree with us019225 100% and was also going to bring up 'novice education'. And I do not think many fakers, if any, get their education from forums. They probably know as much or more then most. Talk about 'elitist', you guys are the only ones who know so you don't want to educate fakers? Ha, ha! They only fake rare and expensive parts, sell to novices. I asked if I saw 'stake marks' at sight on one of the carbines, and got no answer, fakers have no control over that. I only own three carbines, mix-master and CMP military rebuilds. I really know little about them but I guess this forum is no place to get educated!
    Fake's are a problem with any expensive collection, even non gun collections. Most collectors share their knowledge freely! Share knowledge and 'fakers' will find it harder to find buyers!
    Last edited by dave; 02-01-2016 at 11:44.
    You can never go home again.

The problems stem from people correcting a rebuilt carbine, then wanting top dollar for it. If it's been rebuilt at some time, it will never be original again. There were not that many
    carbines that didn't get an upgrade. The few that were released or brought back, are few and far between. The last carbine I bought is a Winchester that went thru a rebuild around the Korean
    War. It has all Underwood trigger parts and a Korean era bayonet.

5. Default

The fakers have access to the genuine parts just like everyone else. Just a matter of finding someone that can exactly duplicate the part.

No they don't have access to the real deal in China. The humpers have to send what they want to the makers in China by email
    or snail mail BUT sending a real sight there is not allowed. Plus the humpers just keep showing their fakes as being real and the newb's fall for it. Now if you want to learn about real vs fakes then sit down and read, compare photos of fakes compared to originals. That is the way most advanced collects learned. There is no short cuts to this so if your going to become a carbine collector take the time to learn about them. Just like we as collectors did.

Believe us when we say the fakers have improved their products over the years by noting the discussions on these pages. There are 2 in particular who have done this. IF a newbie wants the info he is free to PM us. We are more than willing to discuss the detailed info OFF THE BOARD. Details of milling, color, markings can easily give away the fakes for the advanced collector, while the newbie won't know the difference. There is no point in educating the fakers to make it even more difficult to detect their products. They can take a $25 fake and turn it into a $200 (GI Issued) part. That kind of profit is a great incentive to check these boards.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    They only fake rare and expensive parts, sell to novices.
    Rare and expensive, like a ten dollar IS oiler?

BTW this one is a repro, aka fake.

Last edited by BrianQ; 02-08-2016 at 05:29.

Brian, thanks for illustrating our point. Yes guys, even some pretty cheap parts are copied.

Are you talking about the stake marks on the NPM around the rear site?