Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Two k98's i just got at auction what next???

I Just got these at auction I would like to clean them up and take them to the range. or should I leave them alone or what??
    I don't what to lower their value I don't want to destroy anything. I have never restored or owned a mauser before.
    I paid 1000$ for both?? Am I an idiot?

1 “bcd 41” 7.92mm SN# 8761 Matching SN#’s minus the bolt. Nazi Eagle visible. Missing front hand guard. Moderate rust. With leather sling

121-1.jpg121-2.jpg121-3.jpg121-4.jpg121-5.jpg
    pics are rifle 1

2 “27/1939” 7.92mm SN# 625 Waffen AMT280 . All matching SN#s

I will send additional pics
    Last edited by Discus420; 01-30-2016 at 11:13.

2. Default

more pics rifle 2137-9.jpg137-14.jpg137-8.jpg

Big question now is: WHAT DO THE BORES LOOK LIKE? I wouldn't worry about the wood, other than to find a replacement for the missing part. For now, as far as the metal goes, I'd take some oil soaked fine steel wool and gently rub that rust off of all the parts. At least that will stop further rusting. Assuming the bores were in nice shape, I'd just replace the missing wood, clean up the metal and shoot the daylights out of them.

4. Default

thanks kcw kinda what I was thinking I don't know about the bore so that's a guess till I get my hands on them

BUT IS IT A GOOD DEAL??? that's 1000 bucks I could do a lot with a grand hell I could get a garand with a grand

I think you did OK. Simple to replace the missing part and clean up the rust very carefully.

I have a Gew 98 (Amberg 1916) that was found in a barn . . . .

It looked much like your K98's (even had a missing handguard) . . . . but the metal that was protected by the wood was nearly like NEW!

Even the bore was/is in GREAT SHAPE!!

Maybe you will be as lucky! --Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Discus420 View Post
    thanks kcw kinda what I was thinking I don't know about the bore so that's a guess till I get my hands on them

BUT IS IT A GOOD DEAL??? that's 1000 bucks I could do a lot with a grand hell I could get a garand with a grand
    You paid enough. If the bores turn out to be pristine as in shinny with good sharp rifling you did OK. If they turn out to be dark and worn then not so much so. Also depends upon how much rust and how well it will clean up. Hopefully there will be no pits.

You say nothing about matched numbered parts or other original, or not, aspects of the guns. If you are a collector bores do not make a lot of difference. I have shot none of my collection for many years, just too many and they are all alike to shoot anyway. 500 each would be the top end for K98k's in this condition, but I am only going by the pictures, which are not the best. If I saw them in person more detail could be given.
    Last edited by dave; 01-31-2016 at 08:03.
    You can never go home again.