Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Question about M1 Value

I have an honest question. I see a 1982 DCM M1 advertised on this site for $6800. Are they really selling for that much?
    I have a SA M1 that I purchased through the DCM, which is fully papered, in 1973. It is in the 5.2M range and underwent a SA overhaul and is scribe marked "SA 12 65" on the receiver leg. The trigger guard only is glass bedded. To me it looks new, came in the original sealed package which I still have and still has the bore desiccant in the barrel and I know that it has not been fired since I received it. The barrel is stamped with a "T" which I understand means that it ws targeted. It has only been disassembled once to read the markings. Is it really work anywhere near that?
    I have a fully papered 1962 NM M1 that I purchased through the DCM in 1962. It is used as I used it in competition. I believe that it has about 2000 rounds of MATCH and NM ammo fired through it. It is used but not abused. Wonder what the value of this one is?
    Thanks for any reply
    Last edited by Cosine26; 01-29-2016 at 04:13.

Wishful thinking, but that's my thoughts without pictures and specifics of that rifle (original untouched early wwii survivor ect).

The seller doesn't give a clue as to when the rifle was made. Could have been anywhere between 1937 and 1957. Could either be a steal or just too high. I have some really nice, but late, that I would let go for $6800.

4. Default

Thanks for the replies.

I sold my 90% correct Winchester for $1000 and included a WW2 bayonet and sling. Only the barrel and butt stock were not correct.

Asking price and selling price are two completly different things. But you never know, some fool might pay that price. I have a M1 that I got from the DCM as Select Grade. It looks super nice but I don't think it worth $6800.00. However, if somebody came over with cash money I doubt I could turn it down.

[QUOTE=Cosine26;445237]I have an honest question. I see a 1982 DCM M1 advertised on this site for $6800. Are they really selling for that much?
    Not even close..

There is no such thing as an 'untouched original early WW11 M1 rifle", except maybe in SA or Win. collection. We got out the old '03 from storage, even started making them again, and refurbished the 1917's we had. The Army and Navy bought "training rifles" from at least two makers, (see picture)100_0348.jpg. We were short of rifles, period! New since being rebuilt perhaps, but then its no longer original. That is why they are made with interchanable parts.
    You can never go home again.

Correct description is new/never issued. Look around and see how many you can find in that condition with provenance to back it up. They are as rare as hen's teeth.

What kind of 'provenance' can you possibly get? A statement to that affect signed by a notary? Useless! Rare?, I do not believe such a rifle exists except maybe some Korean war made ones.
    Especially with M1's, too many people out there making them "correct". Even CMP is making up M1's, using new made stocks. I have seen many really nice M1's for 1000-1200 out there and I will not pay that even. Of course I have several, including a new/rebuilt DCM, so am not in the market.
    Last edited by dave; 01-31-2016 at 02:44.
    You can never go home again.