Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Sedgley Springfield

I'd like to see pix of how the barrels and receivers were marked. I have seen some receivers marked with a new S/N in the tang area and some kept the orig S/N and are marked RF Sedgley on the front receiver ring. I have seen the barrels with a circle S near the muzzle, some with the circle S near the breech and some that said RF Sedgley on the top about midway down the barrel.
    Was there a certain era for each type of marking??
    Any other markings that I haven't seen?

If there are certain eras for the markings I do not know, However mine has a knurled receiver but the serial can still be made out, new serial in tang groove. The old serial is a low number! I have a Mann. carbine that was must likely stocked by Paul Jeager after he bought out Sedgley's stock of parts. Every part seems Sedgley except the stock. Barrel is marked with Sedgley name on the bottom and full original SA markings are still on receiver. New serial on 'rifle' is 988. 'Carbine' original number is 842988, strange!
    You would probably have to do a survey to answer your question but that would still not give you a year but only a sequence.
    You can never go home again.

3. Default

I have one that is stamped RF Sedgley on the front receiver ring. It is a 5 digit S/N. Odd thing is that it is not D&T for a receiver sight but it is D&T for a scope base. I can only guess that this is from the latest batch of rifles that were done under the Sedgley name.
    I will post pix as soon as I can get into my photobucket account.

I have a Sedgley the same as Dave's. The inletting of the European style stock is rather crude. I did see a picture of this stock years ago but I can't remember where. It may have been in a Jeager catalog. Quite a big difference with the other earlier Sedgley I own. If I can find it in the back of the closet, I will post pictures.

My Jeager stock has a hi roll over cheek piece, which is not European style. All hardware match's what Sedgley used.100_0339.jpg
    they are the #3 and 4 from top.
    I have a Sedgley catalog (1936 I think) and it shows a large variety of rifles he made, including a long list of options you could order.
    Last edited by dave; 01-29-2016 at 02:27.

6. Default

Wow, if you could scan and post the catalog, that would be interesting to see.

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    My Jeager stock has a hi roll over cheek piece, which is not European style. All hardware match's what Sedgley used.100_0339.jpg
    they are the #3 and 4 from top.
    I have a Sedgley catalog (1936 I think) and it shows a large variety of rifles he made, including a long list of options you could order.
    I fail to see a "high rollover cheekpiece" on the rifle in the pic, or are you discussing another stock ?

Thanks for posting the pic,

Emri

Quote Originally Posted by Emri View Post
    I fail to see a "high rollover cheekpiece" on the rifle in the pic, or are you discussing another stock ?

Thanks for posting the pic,

Emri
    No I mean the 2nd one from bottom. I guess I used the wrong term, guess it should be 'hi-comb', not 'roll over. The Sedgley (right above) has no cheek piece. At any rate it is not a European style. The second from top is a Stoeger custom shop and has a small cheek piece which is almost a half circle, while the Sedgley carbine it rolls forward into the comb. Very American style.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboybart View Post
    Wow, if you could scan and post the catalog, that would be interesting to see.
    PM sent---

10. Default

This is how mine is marked. Again not D&T for receiver sight but D&T for scope. The original S/N was retained