Default 03 Springfields in use

I imagine WW2 buffs already know this, but if you want to see (color) film of 03 Springfields being actually carried and ready for use, look at John Ford's video (OK, film) on the Midway battle, which he made on Midway Island at the time in 1942. Most of the footage is on the island. The marines and sailors carrying the rifles are also wearing the WW1 style Brodie helmet.
    It's on Youtube, so no trouble finding it. Too bad it's only 18.40 minutes.
    There were giants on the earth in those days...even in Hollywood.
    Last edited by 11mm; 01-27-2016 at 03:02.

2. Default

You'll want to note a crossover theme from the 'Midway' film to another John Ford classic, 'They Were Expendable'. 'Red River Valley' is the anchor.

At around 2:44 in the 'Midway' film, there's a sunset shot of a Navy EM playing an accordion, on which they overdubbed 'Red River Valley'.

In 'They Were Expendable', when the PT crews were leaving the shipyard in Cebu after all the PT boats were used up, the character 'Dad Knowles' played by the Hollywood veteran Russell Simpson (and Ford frequent player) has a great ending scene. The Navy PT crews ask if he's coming with them, and he says 'No, I'm staying to fight the Japs'.

Ending shot of that sequence is Dad Knowles sitting on the steps to his office, his faithful M1903 across his legs, and what appears to be a S&W revolver on his hip. In the background, 'Red River Valley' is playing. Perfect counterpoint to that scene, as only Ford can deliver. Short clip of this on YouTube as well, search 'They Were Expendable'. Always like to imagine him playing hell with the Japs with his '03, and then slipping away into the jungle to become a guerilla with his Filipino friends until McArthur returned in 1944.

One of Ford's quiet testimonies to the many who stayed behind in the Philippines, and gave their lives to buy time for the US to gather military strength, and come back on the offensive. A very powerful film, and always makes me emotional to watch it, knowing that the Bataan Death March was ahead of the survivors, and years of captivity and torture at the hands of the Japanese, after a brutal resistance on Corregidor and the Bataan peninsula with their Filipino allies.

Plenty of '03's in 'They Were Expendable', along with WWI gear in use as would have been the case. One of my favorites, watch it annually on Memorial Day.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
    You'll want to note a crossover theme from the 'Midway' film to another John Ford classic, 'They Were Expendable'. 'Red River Valley' is the anchor.

At around 2:44 in the 'Midway' film, there's a sunset shot of a Navy EM playing an accordion, on which they overdubbed 'Red River Valley'.

In 'They Were Expendable', when the PT crews were leaving the shipyard in Cebu after all the PT boats were used up, the character 'Dad Knowles' played by the Hollywood veteran Russell Simpson (and Ford frequent player) has a great ending scene. The Navy PT crews ask if he's coming with them, and he says 'No, I'm staying to fight the Japs'.

Ending shot of that sequence is Dad Knowles sitting on the steps to his office, his faithful M1903 across his legs, and what appears to be a S&W revolver on his hip. In the background, 'Red River Valley' is playing. Perfect counterpoint to that scene, as only Ford can deliver. Short clip of this on YouTube as well, search 'They Were Expendable'. Always like to imagine him playing hell with the Japs with his '03, and then slipping away into the jungle to become a guerilla with his Filipino friends until McArthur returned in 1944.

One of Ford's quiet testimonies to the many who stayed behind in the Philippines, and gave their lives to buy time for the US to gather military strength, and come back on the offensive. A very powerful film, and always makes me emotional to watch it, knowing that the Bataan Death March was ahead of the survivors, and years of captivity and torture at the hands of the Japanese, after a brutal resistance on Corregidor and the Bataan peninsula with their Filipino allies.

Plenty of '03's in 'They Were Expendable', along with WWI gear in use as would have been the case. One of my favorites, watch it annually on Memorial Day.
    I can only say "Amen".
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

The following link is a favorite of mine...

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...VDMCNL&fsscr=0

5. Default

Your probable right that "Dad' was sitting there with an 1903. Haven't watched that movie in years but in my minds eye I recall he had a Krag which I always thought was so proper for the old man who had lived so many years in the Philippines. Need to watch it soon. Excellent movie.

Yep, it was an 03.

7. Default

And, correction to my earlier post - been awhile since I saw 'Midway' - it's actually an officer playing the accordion, not an EM. Just to give credit where due to the JG's.

And, another '03-full' movie which is a favorite is 'Bataan' - with 'Guadalcanal Diary' another perennial favorite, as well as 'Wake Island'. All chock-full of '03's.

Grew up watching these on Saturday mornings, where we were lucky to have a steady diet of WWII classic pictures, plus the US Army's 'Big Picture' serials.

And, didn't appreciate this the way I should have until I was much older, but all of my Dad's co-workers and my friends' Dads were largely veterans - many of them with significant combat experience in the Pacific or Europe. Grew up in the shadow of patriots and men of valor.

My next-door neighbor, Grant Hirabayashi, was one of Merrill's Marauders, and fought in the CBI. As a Japanese-American, he would have been summarily executed (or worse) had he been captured by the Japs. I didn't learn of his distinguished record until I was grown and gone from my old neighborhood; when I asked Mr. Hirabayashi about his war experience, he simply said 'I'm lucky to be alive'. The internment suffered by many Japanese-Americans, including his own parents, never affected his love of the US and his patriotism. He had a distinguished career working for the US Government in many intelligence functions after the war.

Quick summary for his service: http://memory.loc.gov/diglib/vhp-sto...2001001.28498/

Typical of most of the WWII veterans with whom I had the luck to grow up around...and learn from as I grew into adulthood. And, more than a few were '03 fans - particularly those early USMC veterans, of course! A Guadalcanal Marine taught me to shoot high-power with an '03 - quite the indelible experience having watched those WWII movies a few thousand times by the time I made it to the shooting range at age 16.

Sort of set the '03 Springfield disease' in for good after a few years of shooting with this gentleman and his compatriots.

8. Default

Yes! Most excellent clip of close-order drill with Marines and their '03's. Love the final 'Creed of the Rifle'. Have a copy on my phone I watch regularly just to get my '03 fix. All time favorite!

Quote Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
    And, correction to my earlier post - been awhile since I saw 'Midway' - it's actually an officer playing the accordion, not an EM. Just to give credit where due to the JG's.

And, another '03-full' movie which is a favorite is 'Bataan' - with 'Guadalcanal Diary' another perennial favorite, as well as 'Wake Island'. All chock-full of '03's.

Grew up watching these on Saturday mornings, where we were lucky to have a steady diet of WWII classic pictures, plus the US Army's 'Big Picture' serials.

And, didn't appreciate this the way I should have until I was much older, but all of my Dad's co-workers and my friends' Dads were largely veterans - many of them with significant combat experience in the Pacific or Europe. Grew up in the shadow of patriots and men of valor.

My next-door neighbor, Grant Hirabayashi, was one of Merrill's Marauders, and fought in the CBI. As a Japanese-American, he would have been summarily executed (or worse) had he been captured by the Japs. I didn't learn of his distinguished record until I was grown and gone from my old neighborhood; when I asked Mr. Hirabayashi about his war experience, he simply said 'I'm lucky to be alive'. The internment suffered by many Japanese-Americans, including his own parents, never affected his love of the US and his patriotism. He had a distinguished career working for the US Government in many intelligence functions after the war.

Quick summary for his service: http://memory.loc.gov/diglib/vhp-sto...2001001.28498/

Typical of most of the WWII veterans with whom I had the luck to grow up around...and learn from as I grew into adulthood. And, more than a few were '03 fans - particularly those early USMC veterans, of course! A Guadalcanal Marine taught me to shoot high-power with an '03 - quite the indelible experience having watched those WWII movies a few thousand times by the time I made it to the shooting range at age 16.

Sort of set the '03 Springfield disease' in for good after a few years of shooting with this gentleman and his compatriots.
    I grew up with a Japanese-American family who became (and still are) like "family" to me. The wife had three brothers - all U.S. Army veterans of WWII while she was in an internment camp. They were quiet-well-behaved and said almost nothing about their service or their internment.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis