Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Brown View Post
    ......Some armorers feel that it is necessary to insure there is contact at the bottom of the rear ring with the barrel. I haven't found that there was any difference in accuracy when done to this spec. . . . . .
    Way back when, I accurized my "once-in-a-lifetime" DCM M1 according to a Navy armorer who DID mandate contact with the barrel at six o'clock.

Before I complied with this spec., I fired for accuracy with the cylinder "as issued" then again after the "bearing at six o'clock" spec. of the Navy.

There WAS a small difference (improved) in accuracy . . . but accurizing an issue M1 is an "accumulated" effort utilizing MANY small tolerance-tightening proceedures throughout the rifle.

Probably the most important aspect of accurizing is the very tight fit of the barreled-action in the stock! --Jim

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Brown View Post
    . Some armorers feel that it is necessary to insure there is contact at the bottom of the rear ring with the barrel. I haven't found that there was any difference in accuracy when done to this spec. .
    So they are not reamed but relived. Are the splines any different so as to get a tighter fit on the barrel?
    liberum aeternum

Splines are not different. A NM gas cylinder was built from a standard gas cylinder, no difference besides the modifications
    Last edited by Orlando; 01-28-2016 at 01:01.

4. Default

[QUOTE=Orlando;445135]Splines are not different. A NM gas cylinder was built from a standard gas cylinder, no difference besides the modifications[/QUOTE

Thanks
    liberum aeternum

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
    If you had a NM stamp they could

Originally they also had a DOD Ink stamp but are usually worn off
    I am not to sure about " Originally they also had a DOD Ink stamp but are usually worn off" ' My thought is that if the NM gas cylinder was manufactured at SA and installed during NM build at SA then the Gas Cylinder would not have a DAS on the bayonet lug. If the gas Cylinder was a contracted part it would be stamped at acceptance. I doubt even all of the contracted gas cylinders would be stamped, maybe 1 out of 100 or something like that. I have no proof of this, just speculation on my part.
    Last edited by 2111; 02-03-2016 at 06:40.

None of the NM gas cylinders I've taken out of the can had a DAS stamp. I think this was probably added after the completed rifle was inspected.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
    Splines are not different. A NM gas cylinder was built from a standard gas cylinder, no difference besides the modifications
    I assume if you peened the splines it would be OK? Just another mod to tighten it up?

Blog Entries

Perhaps as an in-process visual verification of something having been done and confirmed? Unless someone has pulled NOS NM gas cylinders and saw it already.

I have a 1962 NM rifle, must have been shot once and put away. Joe should remember seeing this one.

Last edited by Roadkingtrax; 02-04-2016 at 04:00.

That's one beautiful rifle and a nice photo Tim. One reason I felt it was a contracted Gas Cylinder is that SA more than likely ran out of new Gas Cylinders before the 1960's. I don't see them using a DAS stamp for anything other than acceptance, but again, I'm just speculating on this. Now that it has my curiosity I will have to look into it.
    Last edited by 2111; 02-04-2016 at 02:47.

10. Default

Yes, beautiful rifle. Have you shot it? Thanks for posting.