Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Default 1909 Match 1903 with Winchester A5 Scope

This is a interesting rifle that just appeared out of Massachusetts. It is an original 1909 Springfield 1903 with a Winchester A5 installed. I've shown it to a lot of experts and I think the general consensus is, it is probably one of the early Star Guaged Match rifles, and it might have been a Marine Match rifle as well. But as with anything of this time period, it's always hard to prove 100%. The conversion seems to be of the time period and probably was done in WWI or before. The rifle, except for a modified trigger does not have any of the later National Match modifications done to it. But that would be correct for a Star Guaged Match rifle made in 1909.

The serial is 368496 and has a 6/09 SA barrel.

Last edited by cplnorton; 01-25-2016 at 06:58.

The blocks on the Rifle, match the drawings of the Winchester Springfield Marine blocks in Brophy's book. It also bears a strong resemblance to a A5 Marine rifle pictured from the WWI era. The date and location of the photo is unknown, but speaking with WWI uniform experts that study the pictures of that time, they believe it might be in France in 1917. The rifle appears to be early as well. With a single bolt highwood stock, small knob on the windage, and I cannot see any reinforcing clips on the handguard. This rifle also bears a strong resemblance to the rifle in Brophy's book with the Springfield Marine Mounts in the Cody Museum. But the Cody rifle is a later serial number.

I sort of doubt I can prove what it is 100%,just because so little exists from this era. But regardless it sure is a neat rifle to look at. I hope you guys enjoy it.

Last edited by cplnorton; 01-25-2016 at 07:01.

I LIKE it!

...as do I!
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

5. Default

Wow...now that's what I call "eye candy"!

I'd say you've built a very convincing case cplnorton...as far as that goes, I'd like to think that could be the same rifle that Marine has shouldered in the picture...less the front sight cover~

Is this a recent acquisition of yours? If so, you've got yourself quite the treasure!

Great pictures and many thanks for the posting!

Yeah it showed up on Gunbroker as a Buy it Now a couple weeks back. The seller was a gunshop and said it came from a older women who had sold it because her husband had passed.
    Last edited by cplnorton; 01-25-2016 at 11:49.

I just can't stop staring at that combination. Thanks for sharing.

8. Default

Nice rifle and thanks for sharing..Good deals are out there and rare rifles are still available..Congrats
    Last edited by rockisle1903; 01-25-2016 at 02:12.

A real find Steve!! A guess there are some hidden ones around.

WOW!
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain