1. Default Late War Assembled ?

I was wondering how my BYF 44 got in a 1936 Mauser stock. Its not a capture. Stock wasn't cleaned up if Germans were doing late war anything goes assembles. Stock is numbers matching. Bolt numbers match. Reciever number doesn't match bolt.001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg004.jpg

2. Default

sporterized rifle rescue...or the vet owned 2 rifles and mixed and matched...or...But the germans never did anything like this even on the repair level, most major components were renumbered to match..
    Last edited by rockisle1903; 01-18-2016 at 09:53.

In 1943-44 Mauser made some rifles with new walnut stocks. I have never seen or heard where the wood came from, new blanks or NOS stocks. I once owned one and a friend has one now. What makes you say it is a 1936 stock?? Mine and friends had/have cupped butt plates tho. The Germans did a lot of things that are not in the books, what ever they could to get a rifle back on the line!
    And what car is that?????
    Last edited by dave; 01-19-2016 at 07:53.
    You can never go home again.

It would be commonly referred to as a "parts gun". Certainly not a war time assembly.

5. Default

The Germans did a lot of things that are not in the books, what ever they could to get a rifle back on the line!

Source? Besides an internet myth or gunbroker sales pitch to justify a mismatched rifle..They renumbered major components to match such as stock, bolts, barrels, receivers, floorplates, trigger guards, and bands...small bits such as sight parts, bolt "back half" assemblies mostly but not always..

a BYF 44 can be found with a walnut stock once in a while but not with a flat buttplate. All K98k's produced in 1944 would have had a cupped buttplate. Flat buttplates disappeared from use around 1942 from all manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by rockisle1903 View Post
    The Germans did a lot of things that are not in the books, what ever they could to get a rifle back on the line!

Source? Besides an internet myth or gunbroker sales pitch to justify a mismatched rifle..They renumbered major components to match such as stock, bolts, barrels, receivers, floorplates, trigger guards, and bands...small bits such as sight parts, bolt "back half" assemblies mostly but not always..
    Oh, those front line repair guys working out of a trailer took the time to restamp a band, floor plate, and all small parts? They kept good parts taken off ruined rifles and used them. Have you ever stamping a gun part by hand? Especially a hardened part? Try it sometime!
    You can never go home again.