Default Pawn Shop Find M1905 Bayonet & Scabbard

Posted this on CMP forum as well. Younger son visited a local pawn shop last Saturday to buy some ammo and called me to say they had a "Springfield 16" bayonet setup" for an insanely low price. Needless to say, I went to see. It was a 1906-dated M1905 with the original canvas scabbard. The set looks its age. Possible WW1 bring-back? There is some light rust on the blade (easily corrected). It appears as though it was never parked. Locking mechanism works fine. Wooden (smooth) grips. The scabbard needs the most work. The scabbard appears to have been painted a dark color at one time, and the upper half is painted white, but it looks like someone was "playing" with painting it and stopped.

My biggest question is what can I remove the paint with without damaging the scabbard? Citri-strip?

The best part of this is that it was less than $50.

Darn good deal! In 1906, the blade would have originally been left bright (unfinished) and can easily be cleaned up.

Too bad about the paint. You are sure it's paint - right? Gentle brushing with a soft brush doesn't affect it at all? I suspect removing actual paint from 110 year old fabric without ruining the scabbard might to be a challenge, depending on the type of paint used. Inside of the cloth covering is a wood structure covered by a layer of a thin leather material. Normally, the outer cover can easily be slid off of that inner structure. Can you slide the cover off, or has the paint glued everything together?
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

If you can get the canvas cover off, try putting the canvas cover in the freezer for several days. This may cause the paint to lift off the fabric.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

I realize this is an old post, but, how did the project turn out?

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    I realize this is an old post, but, how did the project turn out?
    I too wonder how it came out. One possible solution would be to use paint stripper on a sample spot. If the coat of paint is thick, which it looks to be, and you get most it it off, maybe you could get a modeler or someone with an airbrush to paint it with a thin coat of khaki model paint.

I guess this was done to a lot of old scabbards in WW-2, I have a 17 Enfield one with the leather scabbard painted OD.
    Last edited by Griff Murphey; 12-01-2016 at 08:16.

I guess we are destined to remain in suspense?

7. Default

Any Luck??

Now, that looks fantastic. Great find!