If you like the black powder trappers and traders era you might like this movie. Despite being a Hollywood product it's actually pretty entertaining. Set in 1823 it focuses on a band of American trappers and their combat and interactions with Siuox and Pawnee Indians and slimy French traders. Great special effects. DiCaprio, as the American trapper, Glass, survives a bear attack and a fall that I am not sure a modern man could survive with the benefits of a modern hospital emergency room. I won't spoil the movie for you by giving away the better parts of the plot but it moves well and the Canadian wilderness scenery is just gorgeous.

There are some reasonable rifle shots made in the movie and some silly 100% hits with those crummy short pistols (not the good dueling pistols) off of galloping horses. I can say that the base clubs system was apparently not much at those forts back in 1823.

In spite of Hollywood giving this film all the yee-hah Golden Globe awards, it's good, I recommend it.