Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Revenant

Default The Revenant

If you like the black powder trappers and traders era you might like this movie. Despite being a Hollywood product it's actually pretty entertaining. Set in 1823 it focuses on a band of American trappers and their combat and interactions with Siuox and Pawnee Indians and slimy French traders. Great special effects. DiCaprio, as the American trapper, Glass, survives a bear attack and a fall that I am not sure a modern man could survive with the benefits of a modern hospital emergency room. I won't spoil the movie for you by giving away the better parts of the plot but it moves well and the Canadian wilderness scenery is just gorgeous.

There are some reasonable rifle shots made in the movie and some silly 100% hits with those crummy short pistols (not the good dueling pistols) off of galloping horses. I can say that the base clubs system was apparently not much at those forts back in 1823.

In spite of Hollywood giving this film all the yee-hah Golden Globe awards, it's good, I recommend it.

A Richard Harris movie from the early 70's called "Man In The Wilderness" is very similar to this new film, I think. Not sure if it is a remake or not. The Harris film was good also.
    "Wars are, of course, as a rule to be avoided; but they are far better than certain kinds of peace." - T.R.

My favorite in that vein is "The Mountain Men"
    The rendezvous scene is a riot and Victoria Racimo is cute.

Historically very inaccurate, but a good watch. Look up Hugh Glass on the internet for a better representation of his real life.

Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    A Richard Harris movie from the early 70's called "Man In The Wilderness" is very similar to this new film, I think. Not sure if it is a remake or not. The Harris film was good also.
    I have not seen this new movie, but have wondered how close it was to "Man in the Wilderness". I've probably watched it nearly as many times as I've watched, "Jeremiah Johnson".
    I reckon I'll go see this new movie.

Tommy

Saw it last night. Unfortunately I couldn't make out what was being said 3/4 of the time, just a bunch of mumbling. Anyone else have the problem. I have some mild tinnitus but I've never had a problem understanding words in a movie house. Anyone else notice this? I was able to get the crux of what was basically going on OK, but dialog is important when your trying to figure out just who is who, and what they are about.

My wife and I just watched 20-30 minutes of it, as was said mostly a bunch of mumbling and the actions I saw didn't make sense. We both agreed it was a waste of time and turned it off.

KTK

Quote Originally Posted by Ken The Kanuck View Post
    My wife and I just watched 20-30 minutes of it, as was said mostly a bunch of mumbling and the actions I saw didn't make sense. We both agreed it was a waste of time and turned it off.

KTK
    KTK, What did you turn off? "The Revenant" is still on the big screens down here.
    Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by M1Tommy View Post
    KTK, What did you turn off? "The Revenant" is still on the big screens down here.
    Tommy
    They were likely watching it on Showbox which has all the first run movies on the Internet.
    Last edited by Griff Murphey; 01-17-2016 at 09:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Griff Murphey View Post
    They were likely watching it on Showbox which has all the first run movies on the Internet.
    Ahh, OK, I still think that NetFlix DVDs are pretty cool. I watched the 1960 "Sink the Bismark!" last weekend, and stream NetFlix for watching old Star Trek episodes. <grin>
    Thanks,
    Tommy