Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    An M1D without paper work is only worth the some of the parts. If the buyer is happy with his purchase, that's all that matters. Future resale may be disappointing though.
    A CMP Request could get you the paper work. That mount is worth quite a bit, since they have not faked them yet. Some invest6igation may get him the paper trail he wants, or not.
    liberum aeternum

Quote Originally Posted by StockDoc View Post
    That mount is worth quite a bit, since they have not faked them yet.
    I agree they have not been faked in quantity, but I have seen a couple of repro 3/4" mounts that have been modified to fit a 1" weaver scope.

I would recommend a close examination on any 1" mount.

Cass

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Cass View Post
    I agree they have not been faked in quantity, but I have seen a couple of repro 3/4" mounts that have been modified to fit a 1" weaver scope.

I would recommend a close examination on any 1" mount.

Cass
    agreed, also read in Harrison's last night that the DCM put some together back in 1995, from parts they had on hand. Who knows if this was one of them,.
    liberum aeternum

There used to be an article posted to the old version of CSP that stated the 1" / Weaver K4 version of the M1D was built during the 60's for use during civil disturbances in a counter sniper role.

Issue M1D's used scopes with a ⅞" diameter main tube (M73, M81, M82 or M84) and mounting bracket. Some early M1 Garand sniper prototypes were fitted with Weaver 330C's or M73B1 scopes (¾") tubes but these never saw issue and did not resemble the M1C or M1D.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jgaynor View Post
    There used to be an article posted to the old version of CSP that stated the 1" / Weaver K4 version of the M1D was built during the 60's for use during civil disturbances in a counter sniper role.

Issue M1D's used scopes with a ⅞" diameter main tube (M73, M81, M82 or M84) and mounting bracket. Some early M1 Garand sniper prototypes were fitted with Weaver 330C's or M73B1 scopes (¾") tubes but these never saw issue and did not resemble the M1C or M1D.
    That is what Canfields Book states also that some were seen in Army Armouries as late as the early 90's with some reported to have been used in Desert Storm. (I have seen it reported on forums as well, was on the internet, so it must be true)

Hard to believe that they even thought of using snipers against protesters, no matter how violent they got. But then again there was Kent State.
    liberum aeternum

Texas native exiled to Oz for past indescretions to numerous to mention.

There were lots of "civil disturbances" by students protesting the Viet Nam war to be sure. But there were a fair number of urban riots with active shooters firing on police/National Guard types that had nothing directly to do with protesting the war.

Now as to whether or not the K4 equipped guns were assembled to deal with any of those or were assembled to augment declining stocks of other scopes, I have no idea.
    "There it is"
    LOAD AND BE READY!

M1-D rifles with Weaver K-4's are a RARE bird no matter what-- I got this in 1991; so it was not put together, The TE-(Toolehe) Marks on the right front receiver leg was 8-66. These K-4 M1-D's have been seen in service in Denmark and the US Army and reserve and National Guard Units from the late 60's to the late 1990's--- So Nay sayers can spout their non-sense So for the sum of $4250.00 it was worth the sum of it's parts, go ahead and find another one, or even a 1 inch mount- BTW- If you know anything about a n M1-D, You can't fake a 1 inch mount; The original's are all the same and there are no aftermarket mounts

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by oldtirediron View Post
    M1-D rifles with Weaver K-4's are a RARE bird no matter what-- I got this in 1991; so it was not put together, The TE-(Toolehe) Marks on the right front receiver leg was 8-66. These K-4 M1-D's have been seen in service in Denmark and the US Army and reserve and National Guard Units from the late 60's to the late 1990's--- So Nay sayers can spout their non-sense So for the sum of $4250.00 it was worth the sum of it's parts, go ahead and find another one, or even a 1 inch mount- BTW- If you know anything about a n M1-D, You can't fake a 1 inch mount; The original's are all the same and there are no aftermarket mounts
    What reticle does the K-4 have> If you don't mind me asking
    Last edited by StockDoc; 01-15-2016 at 10:31.
    liberum aeternum

Quote Originally Posted by oldtirediron View Post
    sold pending funds
    Looks like whoever bought it has it up for sale.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=537251793

Quote Originally Posted by StockDoc View Post
    {snip}

Hard to believe that they even thought of using snipers against protesters, no matter how violent they got. But then again there was Kent State.
    Kent State is a poor example. After the murder of Martin Luther King most of the major cities in the country were ablaze. During that same period their were numerous bombings (university campuses, the US Capitol, etc). Demonstrations and riots were a fairly regular occurrence mainly in response to US involvement in SE Asia.

If i recall the article on thee K4/M1D, in the old CSP, was penned by none other than the late Major Culver.