Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Best Buy on Brass Polish for Tumbler and Tumbler Media $$$ ?????

I am out of Brass Polish for my Tumbler. I looked online at a few places and was shocked at the current price of a small bottle of polish. About $15.00 for a 12oz bottle. Any better buys out there ? What about using just reg. Brasso or any other tricks ??? Also what's a good deal on Tumbler corn cob media now a days ??? Thanks

I wouldn't use Brasso as it contains amonia which can weaken brass. Might try a dab of auto polish or jewelers rouge. I only use crushed walnut shells in my thomblers.

3. Default

I built my self a tumbler and use ss pin shaped media. I don't plan on using corn cob or walnut hulls again.
    john

Don't know how you feel about Cabelas, but they sell corn cob media with their name on it. It's $15.00 for a box, which contains enough media to fill my tumbler twice, AND a bottle of polish that will last you for several boxes of media (I have 4 extra bottles laying around because I'm still working on my first bottle)!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Quote Originally Posted by jaie5070 View Post
    I built my self a tumbler and use ss pin shaped media. I don't plan on using corn cob or walnut hulls again.
    john
    +1

This subject has come up before here and someone posted about using the SS pins. I too have used this and find it to be best by far. They can be bought on ebay and are also good for polishing the primer pockets w/o plugging the flash hole. 2 downsides though. You have to use them in a rotory tumbler due to the weight of the pins + the soapy water---will not work in a vibrator type cleaner. The other is they leave no coating or protection against tarnishing. You may want to finish them off (after cleaning with the ss pins) in a tumbler with a little NuFinish car wax along with the corn cob. Like Joe mentioned above, watch out for chemicals containing ammonia.
    Last edited by Allen; 12-31-2015 at 05:04.

You can forget polish altogether. It's not required. Brass needs to be clean, not shiney.
    "...$15.00 for a box..." That $15 will buy a great big bag of small pet/lizard bedding in a pet supply shop.
    Spelling and grammar count!

7. Default

Harbor Freight has 25lb box of fine and course walnut shells for $20ish each.

8. Default

I've got the SS pin tumbler and it works great. Before that I used Brasso on walnut for years. Never had "weakened" brass. I think that's a story to keep people buying the very expensive "ammonia free" products. Brasso costs about $2 at Wal-Mart or the supermarket.

I've even used Brasso STRAIGHT on brass if I only need to clean 1 or 2 pieces...NEVER a problem. Never heard of ANYONE having such a problem.

I've always found walnut works better than corn cob.

I've not had any tarnishing problem after using SS pins. I still use Brasso + walnut on bulk pistol brass because I don't want to bother depriming them first.

It is a fact that ammonia weakens brass. One who uses a product that weakens their brass is quite weak in the brain department as well. If you want to polish your cartridge brass use polish that is safe to use on cartridge brass. I get so tired of people being cheap and stupid wben trying to save pennies when in reality they are destroying their expensive brass. Before you use anything to clean and polish, read on the label what the product contains. If you don't understand, stop what you are doing and seek medical help.
    Matt
    "When you tax away the rewards of effort, you destroy the motivation to achieve"

10. Default

Use Very Little Nu Finish. If you use too much, it creates a dust problem with the abrasive powder sticking to the brass, coating the inside & creating more of a clean-up problem than its' worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    +1

This subject has come up before here and someone posted about using the SS pins. I too have used this and find it to be best by far. They can be bought on ebay and are also good for polishing the primer pockets w/o plugging the flash hole. 2 downsides though. You have to use them in a rotory tumbler due to the weight of the pins + the soapy water---will not work in a vibrator type cleaner. The other is they leave no coating or protection against tarnishing. You may want to finish them off (after cleaning with the ss pins) in a tumbler with a little NuFinish car wax along with the corn cob. Like Joe mentioned above, watch out for chemicals containing ammonia.