Default M1 Carbine production

What was the total production for M1 carbines?
    Reason I ask is that prices of carbines are so high. A good example of a garand is lower than carbines. I like carbines but the prices make me walk away. So why are the carbine prices so high?

They made a lot of them, more then Garand's I think. There is only one thing that drives prices up---demand--- collectors are their own worst enemy! Of course a lot were given to foreign gov's. after the war, including former enemies. While I do have 3, I do not 'collect' them. Average M1's are going for 1000 or 'lil more, I think carbines can still be had for less. Went to gun show Sat., not an M1 less then 1150-1195!
    You can never go home again.

3. Default

Roughly 6.2 million were made during the WWII era.

Only made during W.W. II. Supposedly a total of 6,221,220 by 9 manufacturers between 1942 ad 1945.
    "...prices so high?..." Supply and demand just like anything else. Lots of 'em ended up on the bottom of assorted oceans. Others in the hands of Third World armies and assorted trouble makers and revolutionaries. Plus all the Carbines destroyed by idiot politicians.
    Spelling and grammar count!

5. Default

I believe quite a few were converted to M2's also

Quote Originally Posted by BuildnBurn View Post
    I believe quite a few were converted to M2's also
    The M2 conversion only involves the trigger group. Unless the receiver was stamped M2, it can be converted
    back to M1. Many were converted back and sold through the DCM and later through the CMP

Not surprising considering the facts that they are:
    1. Fun to shoot. I started both my boys on them at 8.
    2. Less expensive to shoot. Slightly tapered case reloads quickly on progressive press. Less powder.
    3. Were made by lots of manufacturers so collecting is more fun.
    4. Make a much better personal defense/home defense rifle than a Garand. (for my money even better than an AR)

An as one girl told me " They are just sooooooo cute " plus they have the power of a .357 mag an are a couple lbs lighter.
    AIM TRUE, YOU MIGHT HIT THE TARGET:

An original M1 Carbine is not a common item, and brings collector prices.

I have seen one NRA/DCM papered M2 Carbine that slipped through the system. All the parts were M1, but the receiver was stamped M2.

The price is set by those willing to pay the asking price. If suddenly the demand went to zero those that had them for sale would drop the price.