Default best ways to photo dcument an original m1 carbine?

ive posted an overall pic or 2 of my early original inland, but am curious how to go about photographing all parts ect for clarity, as I know some people collect all data of know original carbines, especially the pre 200k numbered ones. Cant say ive ever been a picture taking expert.

Good photos start with good light, and for an amateur the best light you can use is outside in the shade on a bright day. The second thing you need is a tripod. It is virtually impossible to take closeups of parts without a tripod, and the tripod doesn't have to be expensive. Take the photos straight on rather than getting artsy with them. Just a few details makes all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    Good photos start with good light, and for an amateur the best light you can use is outside in the shade on a bright day. The second thing you need is a tripod. It is virtually impossible to take closeups of parts without a tripod, and the tripod doesn't have to be expensive. Take the photos straight on rather than getting artsy with them. Just a few details makes all the difference.
    wife has a good camera and tripod, but she usually does big shots ect, not close up small items for detail. Ill try to get to work doing photos today, as dont think ive taken any of it since I got it years ago, with a cell camera lol. the lighting was main question, as photos ive done inside, have never looked right.

Blog Entries

Use the timer. This keeps the camera still when the image is captured.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Are you using a point and shoot camera or a SLR camera? You will need to be the proper distance away from the object you are shooting so it is in focus.
    A macro setting or lens on the camera allows for this. Setting the camera for the type of lighting will also correct color indoors.

Don't dismiss the cell phone completely. This photo of a 1917 DWM Navy Luger was made with an iPhone resting on a tripod. The tripod mentioned earlier made all the difference.

Macro zooms sometimes will give you good "closeup" pics.

Most pocket digital cameras are capable of making better pictures than we take, and have the macro feature built in. You don't need an expensive camera to take good pictures.

This was made with a Canon Power Shot pocket camera, and shows all the detail you need.

9. Default

You're right Johnny, a steady platform for any camera is essential.