Default Hollifield dotter tube on ebay

For those of you who collect unusual 1903 springfield items. Here's a Hollifield Dotter complete with wooden case. Interesting item I wonder how well it worked.

Look at this on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/190881737902

ORIGINAL WWI US CASED HOLLIFIELD DOTTER TUBES FOR 1903 SPRINGFIELD & 1917 RIFLE
    Last edited by louis; 12-24-2015 at 03:54.

2. Default

Unfortunately it's missing a vital component - the Dotter cartridges. For those not familiar with this gadget, the dotter cartridges, were service .30 cases modified with a spring loaded pin inside the case extending from the primer pocket clear through and beyond the hollow bullet. A five round clip of Dotter cartridges was loaded, a round chambered and "fired." The rifle's firing pin hit the primer end of the chambered cartridge, smacking the pin inside it, which in turn smacked a pin inside the barrel-mounted tube shown in the eBay ad, which impacted and made a "dot" on a small 3/4"x 1 1/2" square target located a half inch or so in front of the front of the muzzle. I have one that still works fine, although I don't know how successful it was as a military training aid

The Dotter cartridges I have are all made from 5-14 FA brass with holes drilled in the sides. except one, which, interestingly, is headstamped 7-04…a .30/03 case, I believe, which they trimmed down to 2.50. The cases shown in Brophy, pgs 410-411, are creased where mine are not.

The bullet appears to be a standard M1906 150 gr cannelured cupronickel round modified for the internal pin.

Interesting. The first time I've heard about this outside of Brophy was a very early army manual that a friend of mine picked up at a antique store a few years ago. It had everything in it including the 1903 and taking care of your horse among other interesting things.

Here's one of my Dotter cartridges that I sectioned. Dotters were made in several calibers including revolver cartridges.

dokcop - that '03 cartridge that has been shortened to 06 length is actually fairly common. When the 06 was adopted, Frankford Arsenal broke down 25 million of the 03 cartridges, shortened the cases, and loaded them as 06.

This reminds me of a .250 pellet rifle made like the Mauser. It had spring loaded cartridges that you inserted the ball in the end. It was also 5 rounds and operated the same as the original. Firing it the spring shot the ball from the shell at about an initial speed of 450 fpm. It was a lot of fun to use but not very reliable as it had problems feeding the rounds into the chamber at times
    Last edited by louis; 12-27-2015 at 04:17.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by raymeketa View Post
    Here's one of my Dotter cartridges that I sectioned. Dotters were made in several calibers including revolver cartridges.

dokcop - that '03 cartridge that has been shortened to 06 length is actually fairly common. When the 06 was adopted, Frankford Arsenal broke down 25 million of the 03 cartridges, shortened the cases, and loaded them as 06.

Good to know, Ray. Thanks dokcop