Default mauser barrel give away

years and years ago i picked up a garage type sporter job on a model 98, got it at gun show in new bern for 100.00 but darn it shot okay and it had a pretty solid walnut stock that someone had cut down, couple of years ago i picked up a model 98 barrel in 308 and yup swapped barrels out, this 308 was and is pristine and holds 1moa at 100 yards, no other plans , this is a great go anywhere rifle and if comfortable with iron sights as i am good to go
    but now i got a extra barrel it is in pretty good shape, some pitts but it holds 2" at 100 yards on bench and of course is 8MM so if you got a trashed barrel here you go
    who wants it
    free
    shipping and packing 20 bucks fair, got to fine a box

merry christmas

no one wants a free shootable barrel, wow??

Pelago, are you offering a 308 caliber barrel for a large ring 98 mauser? If so does it have the military contours? I sure do need one since my Brazil 98 mauser in 308 had a case head failure 'fixed' using a threading tap. Needless to say the tap cut through the case body and left a real nice series of threads in the chamber of the barrel. I really like the rifle, but the 'buggered' chamber means extraction is a bear.

original 8mm 98 large ring

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dave in NGA View Post
    Pelago, are you offering a 308 caliber barrel for a large ring 98 mauser? If so does it have the military contours? I sure do need one since my Brazil 98 mauser in 308 had a case head failure 'fixed' using a threading tap. Needless to say the tap cut through the case body and left a real nice series of threads in the chamber of the barrel. I really like the rifle, but the 'buggered' chamber means extraction is a bear.
    I do not tap and drill a receiver with the barrel installed. I remove the barrel because there is a big chance the tap will shatter, and then there is the other reason, the person must know when to stop drilling and tapping. My favorite tap is the tapered tap, it takes as many as 6 turns before it cuts a full cut.

F. Guffey

I would jump on that like a duck on a june bug if I had a large ring 98 in need.
    I DDUW BO'R DIOLCH

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by BudT View Post
    I would jump on that like a duck on a june bug if I had a large ring 98 in need.

If you reload for the 8mm57 you could use a shot out barrel as a chamber gage. With a few tools the barrel could be cut off. I purchased 4 Mausers for $25.00 each, all had bad barrels, all four were chambered to 30/06. With a band saw and lathe I made short work of the gages.

F. Guffey

I don't have any 8 mm Mausers, I have a set of dies, a file trim die I used to use for forming 06 into 8 mm and several boxes of bullets. I still have some new Rem brass and a bunch of reformed.
    I DDUW BO'R DIOLCH