1. Default Springfield Scout/SOCOM

Looking for someone or several people who own SA scout or Socom. I'm considering purchase but want more info. Can anyone help me? Replies from several people welcome on either/both rifles:

1. Recoil...do the comps really help much? Can you compare recoil/muzzle rise to standard M1A or M1 garand?
    2. Noise...I know they're loud. Are they louder than standard M1A or Garand? By a lot or a little?
    3. Do they function well?
    4. What optic (if any) do you use and do you put it on the stock rail, or aftermarket? Cowitness? Cheek weld OK?
    5. How is the flash...esp compared to M1A or Garand?
    6. Have you chronographed any loads? Curious to how much velocity they lose with the shorter barrel. You info esp helpful if you've shot same load in M1A or Garand and can compare.
    7. Any other comments?

Thanks

I have a Socom II and you need not worry about the function of the shorter rifles compared to the others. Same ammo works fine. I have tried all sorts of optics on mine and always go back to the irons. I have plenty of other rifles for the accuracy department. You will only loose 50 to 100 fps over the 22 inch barreled rifles. The thing that is most noticeable with the shorter barrel is the shortened sight radius. And it is noticeable for sure.

Art

Muzzle flash will be about the same, recoil same, noise maybe be louder due to shorter barrel. Buy it and have fun!

4. Default

Thanks nf1e. Do you agree with Major Tom that flash and recoil are the same? Springfield claims their muzzle brakes make a BIG difference. I've also read some reviews that say they are SUPER loud.

I'm considering it for a tac rifle, not so much for bench shooting. I have a std M1A and Garand so I'm familiar with the recoil of those. But I have the M1A set up as a long-range rifle with scope, not CQB.

I've also looked at Shuff's "BM-59" and box-fed Garand conversions but you still end up with an old, used rifle...though lots of fun.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by XLF30; 01-01-2016 at 09:35.

You might consider a FAL. 308 caliber, semi auto, price approx. $900-1000.