Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How Many Different Stock Variations for the Remington M1903?? QUIZ

Off the top of my head, there are quite a few. These are different in obvious ways(grooves or not, bolts or pins, different stamps). I am unsure of any inletting differences/lightening cuts/holes. Please let me know if I am missing anything or made errors(likely). These a kinda in chronological order, but not necessarily. Keep in mind, there are always transition/overlap periods.

1)Grasping Grooves, RLB in a box, bolts

2)No Grasping Grooves(from here on out), RLB in a box, bolts

3)RLB no box, bolts

4)Spread R L B, bolts

5)FJA in a box, bolts, no A3 ring relief

6)FJA no box, bolts, no A3 ring relief

7)FJA in a box, pins, no A3 ring relief

8)FJA no box, pins, no A3 ring relief

9)FJA in a box, bolts, A3 ring relief

10)FJA no box, bolts, A3 ring relief

11)FJA in a box, pins, A3 ring relief

12)FJA no box, pins, A3 ring relief

Gets kinda confusing at the end of production. I think there are a couple or few that don't even exist. What do you guys think?

Mike

2. Default

How about the no "RA" stocks?

I'm pretty sure the RA is A3 production, only. I'm keeping this topic on 1903's by Rem, only.

Mike

4. Default

When I saw the ring relief stocks I was thinking A3. I never knew that Remington made relieved stocks for the 1903.

End of production timeframe, when A3's were being made at the same time.

Mike

Seasons' Greetings!

Nos. 9) and 10) don't exist, except perhaps as reproductions. And 3) and 4) are out of sequence.

Numerous sub-variations exist. For example, you don't address the subinspection marking scheme change in front of the trigger guard.

And if you throw in stocks recovered from Remington's scrap and rework bin, you can really encounter lots of variations. In that case, 9) and 10) might exist!

Hope this helps. Happy Holidays!

J.B.
    Last edited by John Beard; 12-16-2015 at 09:24.

7. Default

John,
    So the spread RLB came before the unboxed close together RLB? I thought the spread RLB was the later style. Also, I thought the RA was found on early FJA marked rifles, with the later ones would not have the RA markings?

Quote Originally Posted by Kragrifle View Post
    John,
    So the spread RLB came before the unboxed close together RLB? I thought the spread RLB was the later style. Also, I thought the RA was found on early FJA marked rifles, with the later ones would not have the RA markings?
    Seasons' Greetings!

Without consulting my data, I recall the spread unboxed RLB slightly preceded the unboxed close RLB. Both were in production concurrently, as was the boxed RLB. The spread unboxed RLB dominates early mid-production M1903's and the close unboxed RLB dominates later mid-production M1903's before the FJA came along. But very wide overlap exceptions exist. And the boxed RLB pops back up again in mid-production M1903's.

The RA marking began with mid-production M'03-A3's and does NOT appear on M1903's.

Hope this helps. Happy Holidays!

J.B.

Good info here, thanks!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
    Good info here, thanks!

Mike
    Seasons' Greetings!

You got 10 out of 12 for a score of 83. You also got 3) and 4) sequence backwards, which counts as one additional miss, for a net score of 75. That's a C-minus. Hmmmm. You should pick competitive quizzes that are more favorable. Better luck next time.

Happy Holidays!

J.B.