Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by slamfire View Post
    I asked a Naval Insensitive Munitions expert the lifetime of primers, and he said "infinite". Well, infinity is a very long time, but in comparison to the lifetime of gunpowder, primer lifetime is not something that is tracked or worried about. The older corrosive primers would dud out in time, newer lead styphnate priming compounds, I have no idea the shelf life. I have shot 40 year old, maybe 50 year old lead styphnate primers and they worked fine.

I do believe heat is very bad for primers, and so is humidity. Primer compound is made wet and when it dries out it is dangerous. I assume therefore it will suck up water. Sealant is on the top of the primer cake so something that dissolves it would expose the primer cake to water.
    According to Hatcher's Notebook, the reason non corrosive primers were not used earlier is because their shelf life was much shorter than the *edited* corrosive. I guess they finally got the formula right.
    Last edited by PhillipM; 01-27-2016 at 12:52.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipM View Post
    . . . the reason non corrosive primers were not used earlier is because their shelf life was much shorter than the non corrosive. . .
    You might want to read that statement carefully and edit so it makes sense. (Hint - remove the 2d "non".)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Parashooter View Post
    You might want to read that statement carefully and edit so it makes sense. (Hint - remove the 2d "non".)
    Whoops! I need to proofread before posting!
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur