Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Aged Primers ???

Have any you guys ever had any problems using older primers ? I have several I bought back in the 90's but they have always been stored in the house with heat and A/C . Have you ever used any that have been stored and notice any problems ??? Thanks

I've never had any problems using primers that were kept dry even thought they were 30+ years old. I have shot ammo that was 80 years old w/o a misfire. Load up a small batch to test if in doubt or just seat the primer in an empty case and test fire.

They should be fine. You stored them correctly.

I have had primers from the early 70's (Alcan) and primers from 1950 both Winchester and Remington and all have shot fine.
    If primers are kept cool and dry they will last for decades.

Primers, ammo and old guys. Store us right and we just keep on going. snicker.
    Spelling and grammar count!

I asked a Naval Insensitive Munitions expert the lifetime of primers, and he said "infinite". Well, infinity is a very long time, but in comparison to the lifetime of gunpowder, primer lifetime is not something that is tracked or worried about. The older corrosive primers would dud out in time, newer lead styphnate priming compounds, I have no idea the shelf life. I have shot 40 year old, maybe 50 year old lead styphnate primers and they worked fine.

I do believe heat is very bad for primers, and so is humidity. Primer compound is made wet and when it dries out it is dangerous. I assume therefore it will suck up water. Sealant is on the top of the primer cake so something that dissolves it would expose the primer cake to water.

I have ammo that is over 70 years old and it will fire with no problems. I'd say primers will last a very long time.

I have a can of primers made in 1866. They still work.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

9. Default

I have a bunch of WW II M2 ball. Goes bang every time.

Used primer stored for 46 years as well as reloads stored for about 20 years. Never had a problem with either going bang.