Default 1918 Remington MN

Picked up a real basket case and turned it into a hunting rifle.
    At test firing had severe dimpling of primer using new Win. ammo.
    Had me stumped for a while, but I believe I know what is up.
    The barrel is original and real nice inside.
    Got to thinking that being US made it was .308 bore.
    Is that a correct assumption?
    Thanks,
    Mickey

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinSlug.htm

Do this and have both your answer and piece of mind, to boot. - Liam
    "Wars are, of course, as a rule to be avoided; but they are far better than certain kinds of peace." - T.R.

The Russians were real sticklers on the specs of the MN rifles made in the U.S. They had their own "in-house" inspectors in the plants of both contractors. Ultimately it meant the head of those inspectors ( or their families ) if defective rifles received their stamp of approval and were delivered to the mother land. To that end the Russian inspectors were viewed to be real pain in the butts at those plants, often rejecting parts, and even complete rifles, which the American engineers felt were well within specs. This really steamed the plant workers who worked on a "piece work" basis, as they ended up on the short end of the stick. In the Remington plant there was a Cossack captain who walk about in full Cossack dress. His personal fetish was making certain that the sears wouldn't jar off. To that end he'd pick a completed rifle off the rack, cock it and slam the butt end into the concrete floor until the stock spilt! Never did a sear let loose, but neither did he approve the rifle, which meant that Remington, and the unfortunate smith that put it together, ate the cost.