Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
    Thanks. I am impressed.
    Thanks.

I've been f'ing around with the Rock Island, thinking about turning it into a 1941 USMC sniper rifle clone for the CMP Vintage Sniper Match. The RI '03 came with the scope mounting blocks and I've got most of what i need to complete the task. I mounted an 8X Lyman targetspot scope on it and will just need to add the rear sight back and pry off the old rubber butt pad and stick a steel butt plate back on.

...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

Sure is a fragile looking scope. Sure is fun to play with these critters especially when the receiver is already full of holes.

3. Default

Sure is a fragile looking scope. Sure is fun to play with these critters especially when the receiver is already full of holes.
    I wouldn't D&T a military rifle myself...but if the dirty work has already been done, well...why not experiment.

The scope does look fragile, but the reality is that it slides in the mount as the gun recoils. These old external adjustment scopes usually come with a spring apparatus to push the scope back into position, but the CMP does not allow springs, because the Marines didn't use them. So when I shoot this, I have to remember to push the scope back into position before the next shot.

Here is a picture of a Unertl with the spring

And here's a Marine using the sniper rifle during WWII. You can see there is no spring on the scope.

Last edited by Calfed; 12-13-2015 at 11:20.

Nice photos. I am familiar with the ext adj scopes. Sold all of mine off 40 years ago to finance my house. Since then, I shoot modern scopes on most everything.

5. Default

Nice photos. I am familiar with the ext adj scopes. Sold all of mine off 40 years ago to finance my house. Since then, I shoot modern scopes on most everything.
    Amazing how expensive those old external adjusting scopes are.

Boy you aren't kidding. Everything is in the stratosphere today. Well, I guess back 50 years ago when I was collecting, things were expensive, for the time. I am happy to maintain what is here and now the ammo is expensive. Luckily, I think, I have a lifetime supply in the stash. Every once in awhile when one of the old benchrest buddies passes, I see gear that belongs in a museum.

7. Default

Boy you aren't kidding. Everything is in the stratosphere today. Well, I guess back 50 years ago when I was collecting, things were expensive, for the time. I am happy to maintain what is here and now the ammo is expensive. Luckily, I think, I have a lifetime supply in the stash. Every once in awhile when one of the old benchrest buddies passes, I see gear that belongs in a museum.
    Ever since the CMP started the Vintage sniper matches, the USMC 1941 sniper rifle with its 8 power Unertl scopes have dominated. As a result, 8 power Unertls and Lymans have ballooned in price. I'm watching an 8 power on ebay that is now over $1600 bucks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Uner...3D272073314938

8. Default

I had this jewel a little while back . Someone altered the stock , but it sure was a shooter . Gave it to a buddy of mine a while back , he had always wanted one , it was just setting in my safe , so I figured he would put it to use .
    I was wrong , he made a nice plaque and hung it on the wall . He did a good job , but I don't know how long it will stay there . It's hard to put stuff on display these days and he is gone a lot . Picture isn't the best , it looks better in hand .
    Kenneth
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by aintright View Post
    . . . . . . Someone altered the stock , . . . . . .
    Why do you think the stock was altered?

I see an altered bolt, but regular “C” stock. —Jim