Default RIA/Armscorp MIM Hammer

Gre3tings:

Just a note, if you happen to have an Armscorp aka Rock Island Armory 1911a1. Shot 50 rnds of no name ammo thru mine in Nov, and did a detail strip n cleaning. And had all sorts of problems putting the damn tight thing back together, The receiver would not pass the safety checks, either the hammer wouldn't half or full cock, or the grip safety wouldn't work right. Finally got it to work, but I did notice this:

008a.jpg

Depending on my first attempt at attaching a file pic, and sorry for my poor digital camera work, the surfaces where the sear mates with the hammer, are slightly rounded. Looks like Armscorp used MIM (Metal Injection Molding) to make the unfinished hammer and then did a minimum of machining.

When the lower is properly put together, the safety and sear and hammer do work together, but the rounded surface annoyed me so much, that a week of waiting for parts from Sarco and Numrich, and a trip to the local 1911 Wizard and $20 later, I've got a N.O.S. hammer and strut in place.

So, if you happen to own a RIA 1911a1, take a close look, you might want to make a change.

RHB

Thanks for the 'heads up'. I have an ATI 1911. I believe they are made in the same factory in the Phillippines.

Wow, good find. Looks like something you would expect from Daisy or Mattel. Many of us who own 1911's have a few extra GI parts laying around. If it were me I would change out all the critical wear parts with U.S. components otherwise I've only heard good reviews from the RIA's.

Local gunshop had a RIA returned that was experiencing numerous fail to loads. Finally figured out the barrel was short chambered and if the cartridge case was just slightly too long the pistol would jam. To the manufacturer's credit, a new barrel is being sent.