Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by John Beard View Post
    Seasons' Greetings!

Your knowledge is incomplete!

Merry Christmas!

J.B.
    This is why I avoid chiming in, because that seems to be a common occurrence. If you don't make mistakes you don't learn!

Many thanks for the correction John! And always Merry Christmas!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeeaterpilot View Post
    This is why I avoid chiming in, because that seems to be a common occurrence. If you don't make mistakes you don't learn!

Many thanks for the correction John! And always Merry Christmas!
    Another way to say it....
    Show me a person who doesn't make a mistake, and I'll show you somebody that doesn't do anything...

Quote Originally Posted by rebound View Post
    Another way to say it....
    Show me a person who doesn't make a mistake, and I'll show you somebody that doesn't do anything...
    +1

4. Default

I added some more pics. I cleaned it, oiled it , and left it alone. No drilling this one. I realize it doesn't have the pipe table marks on the barrel but it still looks so much like my other probably USMC. Boy does flash bring out the rust. If you look at the rifle in person the rust stains are not as pronounced. I left everything as is. Just a clean-up. Is there any significance that the barrel is an SA 8-42? I know it has been said that certain month barrels were more prevalent. Also, SN 925470 seems to be a USMC -http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=56478. Thanks guys.

Last edited by Punch the Clown; 12-11-2015 at 07:34.

Punch just saw this on gunbroker this morning. Would make a great candidate for what you want to do. Stock hasn't been cut. But you'll need scope mounts and a scope and a bolt. And a rear sight collar.bthats a really nice rifle you've got.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=530165470
    Last edited by louis; 12-11-2015 at 08:18.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by louis View Post
    Punch just saw this on gunbroker this morning. Would make a great candidate for what you want to do. Stock hasn't been cut. But you'll need scope mounts and a scope and a bolt. And a rear sight collar.bthats a really nice rifle you've got.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=530165470
    Thanks Louis. That's getting closer to what I need. The holes are no problem, especially the front ones as Steve Earle will drill the sight block to match the hole spacing. The rest I would have heli-arced closed. The thing that is killing me is his use of the dremel on the rear sight base!! Still, this one is food for thought. Thanks for looking out for me.

Yes and no hatcher hole. But there will be more I've seen a few and I picked up one a few months back and did the conversion. The holes do match match I had the same mounts as they show on the ad. No need for special drilled holes.
    Last edited by louis; 12-11-2015 at 10:18.

8. Default

The base rifle for mine was drilled and tapped for a side mounted scope and I've seen quite a few other sporterized 03s with side mounts. If you can find one of these, you get the benefit of no holes on top of the receiver. Mine still had all the original metal and stock but the stock was cut off at the butt for a recoil pad. Had to get a new stock but that's it, other than scope mounts. I think I paid $300 for it. I'm not saying side mounts are easy to find but they're out there. The fun is in the hunt.

9. Default

Old thread with small update. I took this rifle apart for an annual cleaning and looking really close at the barrel this is what I found. Same marks on the other side. Talk about faint. I missed them the first go round. Oiled up they are barely visible.

Last edited by Punch the Clown; 02-21-2017 at 05:38.

10. Default

I have a Marine 03 about 400 off the serial number of your bolt.