Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Default Possible USMC? Oh, What To Do?

I have my heart set on a 1941 USMC replica. Anyway, I have the Unertl and have been looking for a donor rifle. I wanted one that was already drilled but then this one came my way. The rifle was literally filled with cosmolene-the GI stuff-not the CMP stuff. It has an 8-42 Springfield barrel with a mint bore. When I de-cosmo'd it I found the serial number on the bolt. The rifle is a mixmaster. The sloppy Hatcher hole is there as is that ugly gray park. I'm starting to think that I shouldn't drill and tap this one. If I knew for certain It was a Marine Corps rifle I probably won't. Any ideas? How about the stock markings?

Last edited by Punch the Clown; 12-07-2015 at 02:01.

The stock is a USMC specific contract stock, which I've commonly heard called a "J" stock. Not sure if that's appropriate nomenclature but it's a common nickname.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeeaterpilot View Post
    The stock is a USMC specific contract stock, which I've commonly heard called a "J" stock. Not sure if that's appropriate nomenclature but it's a common nickname.
    So is this thing looking like a USMC?

Blog Entries

What you have shown, yes it is. If you're doing a clone, you may want to see if higher serial numbers were used on the snipers.

Quote Originally Posted by Punch the Clown View Post
    So is this thing looking like a USMC?
    It does possess some of the "USMC traits" you hear a lot of chatter about. Does it have the "vice marks" you hear about?

Yeah don't drill this one. Even though they say they can be built on about any serial dating even back to WW1, almost all I have seen are in the 1.4 and 1.5 serial range. With the 1.49 and 1.52 being the heaviest.

I totally agree with Steve. Hang in, keep looking at the sporterized 03's. I look on gunbroker often and there are a few high number drilled already. You have s really good rifle on your hands I'd keep it as is.

couple things.
    does it have a funny T on the bottom of the barrel, just behind the front sight?
    is there a punch mark on the right receiver bolt rail?
    and what does the stock look like under the bolt handle?
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeeaterpilot View Post
    It does possess some of the "USMC traits" you hear a lot of chatter about. Does it have the "vice marks" you hear about?
    No vise marks. No stippling on buttplate. I will say that as far as I can tell it was in it's cosmolene cocoon a loooong time. What it has is the park color, the Hatcher hole, the electro-penciled bolt, the stock (thank you smokeeaterpilot) and a '42 barrel.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by chuckindenver View Post
    couple things.
    does it have a funny T on the bottom of the barrel, just behind the front sight?
    is there a punch mark on the right receiver bolt rail?
    and what does the stock look like under the bolt handle?
    No T, no punch, nothing unusual under the bolt handle.