Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Syrian Mauser

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    I have only seen one with a Syrian crest, passed on it because I am not particularly fond of post ww11 rifles. Except for .22 rimfires.

What is a Hashemite?
    The house of Hashim or "Hashemite" was the governing Royal family of Iraq from Iraq's founding until the late 50's, when it was overthrown in a military coup.
    ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

2. Default

Finally got down to my FFL's and got a chance to see the Syrian Mauser. I'm waiting for a few more guns to arrive to save on the DROS fee, so I didn't start the DROS, but did give the Syrian and a Remington model 40X that I also won at auction a good going over.

The Syrian has a crest that looks like this one(this is not a picture of my rifle)

is all matching (receiver, bolt, floorplate), bore is bright and shiny, with strong lands and a tight muzzle, bluing is somewhat faded...maybe 50-60%, stock is solid with no cracks that I could see.

One odd thing...the trigger guard and floor plate are milled, with I did not expect. I thought the 48BO's had stamped parts.

I think I got my money's worth on this one.

3. Default

M 48 is a Milled Trigger guard and floor plate. The M 48 bo and M48 A are stamped. From what I have read.
    liberum aeternum

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by StockDoc View Post
    M 48 is a Milled Trigger guard and floor plate. The M 48 bo and M48 A are stamped. From what I have read.
    That was my understanding also. But I also thought the Syrian Mauser was a 48BO model.

5. Default

I picked up the Syrian Mauser from my FFL today. It does look pretty good, except the bluing is somewhat worn and the stock has a few dents and dings. Everything looks solid, though, and the bore is tight and reasonably shiny.

Has the Syrian crest, but no "jeem"

All matching

Had a hard time getting a pic of the bore, but it somewhat shiny and tight. That is a 200 grain 8mm Nosler CC bullet.

6. Default

Beautiful Mauser. I have a M48BO that is in unissued condition. The only marks are the serial number and manufacturer are marks on either side of the receiver. All parts are milled, and rifle is all matching, no mark throughs. For $105 +fees you did real good... hopefully you got as good a deal on the 40X!
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster, and if you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche

You did great on that one. Congrats!!
    "In God We Trust"