Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Syrian Mauser

1. Default

Calfed, Bore was really bad but I found an excellent Persian Mauser Barrel at 24 inches rechambered to 8mm-06 Improved so I put that on and sporterized the stock. That's when I found out how hard and oily the stock was. The rasp wanted to skate across the wood.
    Fred Pillot
    Captain
    San Jose Zouaves

Blog Entries

I have a K98 that was scrubbed, according to a dealer at a gun show, and he pointed out the remnants of the German markings are not completely ground off and noted the plumb colored trigger guard. What nomenclature did the Yugo's use for this rifle?
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mike webb View Post
    Probably a M48BO. They are Yugoslavian pretty much identical to the marked M48 rifles. The BO stands for Bez Ozneke(spelling?) which means "without markings" in Serbo-Croat. Made specifically for export to countries that perhaps they were not supposed to supply arms to.
    I think you are right about that, Mike. I'm pretty sure that is the same for my Iraqi Mauser

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipM View Post
    I have a K98 that was scrubbed, according to a dealer at a gun show, and he pointed out the remnants of the German markings are not completely ground off and noted the plumb colored trigger guard. What nomenclature did the Yugo's use for this rifle?
    I think Mike pretty much nailed it...M48BO
    ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Pillot View Post
    Calfed, Bore was really bad but I found an excellent Persian Mauser Barrel at 24 inches rechambered to 8mm-06 Improved so I put that on and sporterized the stock. That's when I found out how hard and oily the stock was. The rasp wanted to skate across the wood.
    Sounds like it came out well, Fred. Can you post any pics?

The Yugos took a lot of captured German K98k rifles and refurbished them. They scrubbed the German manufacturer codes from the receiver, put new stocks and barrels on many and marked most Preduzece 44 on the side rail. They differ from the 48 as the 48 had an intermediate length action about a 1/4 inch shorter than the K98k.

6. Default

Ahh, I misunderstood your question...Like Mike said, the scrubbed K98's were full length 98 actions, the 48's were intermediate length.

I have two of the scrubbed German K98's. Mine have the Yugoslavian crest, the "Preduzece 44" on the left side of the receiver ring and "mod 98" on the left side receiver rail. I've also seen some that have "Mod 98/48".

I believe the Yugoslavian nomenclature for that rifle is the M98/48.
    Last edited by Calfed; 12-15-2015 at 09:17.

7. Default

The Yugoslavians also refurbished a bunch of their M24 rifles, which are also intermediate length. These show up most often as 24/47 Yugoslavian Mausers.

8. Default

So Syrian Crested their own rifles?
    liberum aeternum

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by StockDoc View Post
    So Syrian Crested their own rifles?
    Not sure about that.

I have only seen one with a Syrian crest, passed on it because I am not particularly fond of post ww11 rifles. Except for .22 rimfires.

What is a Hashemite?
    Last edited by dave; 12-15-2015 at 01:55.
    You can never go home again.