Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Winchester 70 Van Orden

Can anyone tell me if this is a documented Van Orden build?
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=527993872

Thanks,
    Keith

2. Default

Since the seller implies this rifle had something to do with the USMC sniper program (USMC Unertl mounted), I will address it as pertains to the USMC programs. Van Orden called ALL of his Model 70 rifles "sniper rifles", although I have no knowledge of any Van Orden "sniper rifle" being used in combat - ever. I realize the seller does not specifically make the claim that this rifle is a USMC sniper rifle.

Let me preface my response with the caveat that I know very little about the Van Orden rifles. Having said that, the serial number of this rifle is outside the range of the set of 373 Model 70 rifles originally purchased by the Corps and delivered on May 29, 1942. The later Model 70 rifles acquired by the Corps, some purchased from Van Orden, were purchased by the rifle teams and fitted with heavier target barrels (many were Douglas barrels), not present on this rifle. The original set of Model 70 rifles used in RVN were SOS rifles (hunting rifles) not procured from Van Orden. The second set of Model 70 rifles used in RVN were rifle team rifles with their heavier than Sporter barrel rifles. This rifle seems to NOT meet the known characteristics of any of the known sets of Van Orden rifles sold to the Corps in my opinion (don't forget the caveat). I also notice the seller does not show the scope bona fides or USMC serial number. As far as I know, the Corps never sold any of the RVN Model 70 sniper rifles (many years later they still had Hathcock's rifle in stock), all of which suffered from corrosion due to the godawful RVN climate, which is also not exhibited by this rifle. I would definitely want to see the documentation the seller mentions before I bid on the rifle.

Just my opinion. Maybe someone with way more expertise as to Van Orden "sniper rifles" will weigh in and show me that I am in error.

I just realized I did not actually answer your question.

jt

Thanks for the insight, jt. The seller is pretty vague on it and as it stands the value is probably the sum of the parts. I know there are serial number lists on VOs but I can't locate it on the net. Interestingly, I was at an auction bidding on a S&W Aircrewman. The holster was marked Evaluators Inc. Quantico, Va. Must have been quite an interprise. Why he adhered to a fragile target scope for a sniper application is a mystery to me.
    Hopefully, this thread will generate some more history.
    Thanks,
    Keith
    Last edited by keith smart; 12-04-2015 at 07:38.

4. Default

There are guys on this forum who have the VO list of SN's. Maybe one will chime in and give us the straight scoop. The price on this rifle is outrageous anyway, even if it is what he says it is, which I doubt at this point in time. Why would this rifle have a USMC Unertl scope on it? From my meager memory, which may be in error, none of the Model 70's used in RVN came from VO. We'll see when a real expert wades in.

jt

I'm not a expert, but it is a documented Van Orden.

170966 Sold 5/53 to A.E. Bell Hummelstown PA
    Last edited by cplnorton; 12-04-2015 at 01:00.

Jim,

I know your friend has the serials of the model 70 snipers in Nam.

Are there rifles on that list that the serial number is above the 50,000 range? I've often wondered about the US Property marked Model 70's from the mid 50's that were sold by CMP Auction. I have one that I think is in 398,xxx range.
    Last edited by cplnorton; 12-04-2015 at 01:03.

Quote Originally Posted by cplnorton View Post

Thanks! Just what I needed. Price is nuts.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cplnorton View Post

How did you know that? (Curious) Was it sold with that Unertl on it, or is there sufficient data to tell?

jt

9. Default

Why is a rifle sold by Van Orden worth so much money? They aren't particularly rare, and they weren't used as sniper rifles. I don't get it.

jt

Quote Originally Posted by Marine A5 Sniper View Post
    Why is a rifle sold by Van Orden worth so much money? They aren't particularly rare, and they weren't used as sniper rifles. I don't get it.

jt
    I don't think it is worth but half of the starting price. I would by it at the sum of the parts. Disregarding a link to Evaluators, seems a high condition pre 64 Model 70 should run 2500. The WWII scope 3500 (and up) so $6000 would be about it.

Thanks for all the input.
    Keith