Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Default Another sported A3

I've been skulking around on the auctions looking for a good sported A3 to convert into an "A4gery".

My first attempt netted me an SC that had been sported, but turned out to have the rear sight reverse dovetail ground off.

Second attempt was a very early SC that still had the original 6-groove barrel and may be too nice to further sporterize.

Third time might be the charm. I got this one for pretty short money and it seems to have some of the work needed for an "A4gery" already done.

Barrel has been cut, but I was considering putting a new Criterion on anyway.
    ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

Heck not bad. All you need is a stock and scope and rings. Good buy!

Don't get all of this. I have an original A4 and a repro and both are crap as a sniper rifle. Those who have made these things have made junk. I have been lucky to own and fire 7 different WW2 sniper rifles and I will not bother to fire an A4 again. My favorite rifle now is a AR15 heavy barrel, with a trigger job and Leatherwood bullet drop compensating scope. With a Federal Gold Medal 69 grain round, it is 1 MOA at 300 yards and can hit any military target out to 600. Of course it does not hit that hard at 600. Did not mean to insult anyone.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    Don't get all of this. I have an original A4 and a repro and both are crap as a sniper rifle. Those who have made these things have made junk. I have been lucky to own and fire 7 different WW2 sniper rifles and I will not bother to fire an A4 again. My favorite rifle now is a AR15 heavy barrel, with a trigger job and Leatherwood bullet drop compensating scope. With a Federal Gold Medal 69 grain round, it is 1 MOA at 300 yards and can hit any military target out to 600. Of course it does not hit that hard at 600. Did not mean to insult anyone.
    I'm building one up for the CMP vintage sniper match. I doubt that your heavy barrel AR-15 would be allowed in that match.

Blog Entries

Hey what ever turns your crank>>> That's why they make Ford, GM, Chrys. products, the owners swear by them...
    I guess it boils down to a matter of opinion more or less.. enjoy your rifle.........

6. Default

BTW, 1 MOA @ 300 yards isn't bad, but I have 80+ year old military Mausers in original condition, except they have been scoped, that will do that all day long.

The rifles...a 1931 Persian Mauser and a 1909 Argentine Mauser, with their original barrels and stocks.

The Persian at 300 yards at my last trip to the range...

The Argentine at 220 yards

These are typical results. I won't even go into my scoped K31 with GP11 ammo...
    Last edited by Calfed; 11-30-2015 at 02:32.

Calfed.... Just enjoy your new project. I'm sure it will be a lot of fun building it and shooting it.

8. Default

Thanks, Louis.

The challenge is to keep the costs down. I got a good start on that...was able to glom this one for $185

I've got bits and pieces, including a weaver K2.5 scope already. I've also got a NIW GI barrel. I'm kicking around selling it and buying a Criterion to mount on this. I've heard that the Criterion barrels are fantastic shooters and better than the older WWII made barrels.

Sounds like you've got a great plan. Great price on that sporter. You have just about everything you need except a c type stock. When you finish it up post some photos.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by louis View Post
    Sounds like you've got a great plan. Great price on that sporter. You have just about everything you need except a c type stock. When you finish it up post some photos.
    I'd love to use a C stock, but may use a scant stock that I already have. It is in great shape and is historically accurate as an alternate stock for the A4.