Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    I know this rifle was probably purchased when the were less then a hundred and it was 'his' rifle to do what he liked. But to-day that is called making a 800 gun into a 200 dollar gun! Of course that is hindsight. I never had use for a sporter so never did it.
    You are so right. I myself, could never drill and tap a pristine military rifle. I got these both at online estate sales and they had both already been drilled, tapped and had the bolt turned down. I got the Persian, which was all matching and in pristine condition for about what the previous owner probably spent on the modifications. Here are some auction pics...

The Argentine was pretty much the same...one of the nicest '09 Argentines I've seen....unmodified, it was easily an $800 rifle. Got it for half that.

Here are the auction pics...

I thought that the Argentine might have been an 1909/73 sniper model, but was never able to confirm that.
    Last edited by Calfed; 11-27-2015 at 10:34.
    ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

Great rifle. Enjoy shooting it! Of course everyone can lament what these rifles once were when original and as-issued. The same is of course true of the many millions of surplus rifles that were converted sometimes beautifully and sometimes less wonderfully by everyone from high level gunsmiths to kitchen table bubbas. Today we all realize what a treasure these rifles were. We are wise to also realize what a treasure they are. If you've got one, enjoy it! If you can get one that is nice, get it. The actions and shootable rifles are not being made any more.

For my part, I decided long ago to not mess up nice surplus rifles. A loose receiver... that can be built up into something nice is a good opportunity. For instance, a 03-A4 is very expensive. But, one can take a decent 03-A3 action and with care produce a very nice 03-A4 replica that will allow one to enjoy shooting a type of rifle that in excellent condition would be to expensive for everyday use. It's about the same with the various M-98 Mauser actions. The rifles are long gone. But the actions can be used to produce new rifles that will be enjoyed for many years to come. Cool. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bruce View Post
    Great rifle. Enjoy shooting it! Of course everyone can lament what these rifles once were when original and as-issued. The same is of course true of the many millions of surplus rifles that were converted sometimes beautifully and sometimes less wonderfully by everyone from high level gunsmiths to kitchen table bubbas. Today we all realize what a treasure these rifles were. We are wise to also realize what a treasure they are. If you've got one, enjoy it! If you can get one that is nice, get it. The actions and shootable rifles are not being made any more.

For my part, I decided long ago to not mess up nice surplus rifles. A loose receiver... that can be built up into something nice is a good opportunity. For instance, a 03-A4 is very expensive. But, one can take a decent 03-A3 action and with care produce a very nice 03-A4 replica that will allow one to enjoy shooting a type of rifle that in excellent condition would be to expensive for everyday use. It's about the same with the various M-98 Mauser actions. The rifles are long gone. But the actions can be used to produce new rifles that will be enjoyed for many years to come. Cool. Sincerely. bruce.
    Thanks, bruce.

I'm not certain what the previous owners had in mind when they converted these rifles to scoped versions. Perhaps, like me, they shot in military matches that had an "open" category. Perhaps they just wondered how accurate these rifle were without the limitations of their irons sights. I only know that they are perfect for my purposes and were much cheaper than buying these fine rifles and converting them myself.

And they are accurate. On a recent trip to the range to check the zero on these rifles, the Persian shot a .9 MOA 5 shot group at 300 yards and the Argentine wasn't far behind...

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bruce View Post

I agree with you...wouldn't mess with an unmessed surplus rifle myself...but funny you mention the 03-A4. I discovered that even they weren't immune to sporterizing.

When the CMP started the vintage sniper rifle match, I began to look for a sporterized 03-A3 to convert to an "03-Aforgery" to compete with. I found one on the online auctions that looked perfect...already drilled and tapped, with the proper Redfield mount, nice bolt turn down, still had the 24" military barrel. It was highly polished and blued, but that seemed to be an easy fix. I ended up winning it for a great price and was surprised as hell when it arrived and discovered that it was actually a sporterized 03-A4.

Yep, I was sort of thinking that. I still drive by the Academy on the way to visit and back home if Carson Pass is usable. Well on HY 88. if not that one it could be Donner and if it's real bad to Tehachapi pass.
    I DDUW BO'R DIOLCH

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by BudT View Post
    Yep, I was sort of thinking that. I still drive by the Academy on the way to visit and back home if Carson Pass is usable. Well on HY 88. if not that one it could be Donner and if it's real bad to Tehachapi pass.
    You should stop in at the range. Non-members can shoot there.

7. Default

I finally got a scope mounted on the Argy. Good weather and free time happen to coincide today and I was able to get this to the range along with a FN SPR that I glommed a few months ago.

I didn't have a lot of time or ammo, but did manage to get the scope sighted in and fired at 100 yards.

175 gr FGMM @ 100 yards. I'm encouraged and think the rifle is capably of better...

That is about as good as it gets. Nice rifle, someone did a real good job on the build.

jn

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jon_norstog View Post
    That is about as good as it gets. Nice rifle, someone did a real good job on the build.

jn
    Thanks, jon

I'm going to keep working with it and try some handload development. The 175 gr FGMM is great stuff, but I have bested it in other rifles with handloads.

10. Default

I'm trying to shoot some of the safe queens and took the .308W Argentine out this week.

Fired a couple of 5-shot groups at some of those 3" reactive targets.

100 yards with 175 gr FGMM.

Four good shots, and then a flyer to the left. The targets come two together, this was the bottom one. I made a scope adjustment, then shot the top target.

I need to see what reloading can do.