Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default New Sporterized Argentine

I have a thing for Argentine Mausers (and most other South American Mausers), even sportertized Argentine Mausers . I recently glommed a sported Argentine Mauser. This one has a medium profile .308 target barrel and a nice blue job. I'm hoping it will be a tack driver.

There are a few spots of surface rust on the rifle and a few scratches on the scope base, but overall it is in pretty good shape.

...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

I have a 09 Argie that I had rebarreled into a .257 Roberts AI that's a shooter. I'm sure yours will be a fine hunting rifle and a nice rifle it is.
    Last edited by BudT; 11-26-2015 at 05:19.
    I DDUW BO'R DIOLCH

3. Default

Thanks, Bed.

I don't hunt, but my sons and I shoot in a monthly "Vintage Military Silhouette" match. Because of my old eyes, I've taken to shooting in the "open" category...as issued, except a scope is allowed.

I use either a Persian or an Argentine Mauser (depending on my mood--both are pretty accurate). There is also a "sporterized military class" that I plan to use my new sporterized Argentine in..

Here are my open class rifles...

The match is shot at ranges of 220 to 550 yards at chickens (220 yards), pigs (330 yards), turkeys (425 yards) and rams (550 yards) on this range, near Sacramento.

Where is that range?
    I DDUW BO'R DIOLCH

5. Default

It is the Sacramento Valley Shooting Center, which is about 35 miles east of Sacramento, California. It has everything from 7 yard pistol to 1000 yard rifle ranges. Cowboy, Practical, Silhouette ranges...the whole works.

Here is an overhead view of the range complex...

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=38....=h&form=LMLTCC

The silhouette range in in the middle of the range complex...you can see the staggered berms. The 1000 yard range is at the top.

Blog Entries

Back in junior high a schoolmate had an Argentine. We thought it the baddest rifle that ever was.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Sounds like it would be close to Plymuth (SP?) Ione country, fought fire up there a few times.
    Last edited by BudT; 11-27-2015 at 05:17.
    I DDUW BO'R DIOLCH

8. Default

Just off Ione Rd, not far from the CalFire Academy.

Best $75 I spend every year to be a voting member there.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipM View Post
    Back in junior high a schoolmate had an Argentine. We thought it the baddest rifle that ever was.
    Weren't far from wrong

I know this rifle was probably purchased when the were less then a hundred and it was 'his' rifle to do what he liked. But to-day that is called making a 800 gun into a 200 dollar gun! Of course that is hindsight. I never had use for a sporter so never did it.
    You can never go home again.