Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mauser quiz?

1. Default

I've posted these pictures on various forums, but never gotten a definitive answer. It was sold as a 1930 Venezuelan Mauser, but is the wrong caliber (8x57) and has no markings identifiable with Venezuela. Serial number is Z6099 and the rifle seems to be all matching. After I got the cosmo cleaned off, it appears that the rifle is pristine, except for a few dents in the stock

...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

are you a member of the Gun Boards Forums? Those guys would be able to ID that I'm sure.
    Do you own German made Mauser? If so try putting the German bolt in this rifle. I think it is a rebuilt FN model 24 (intermediate action length). German bolt will not close. The triangle mark on stock grip looks Yugoslav but rifle hand guard does not. Defiantly not Lithuanian. Could be a Greek but never seen or heard of those being scrubbed and rebuilt, as this one is.
    Last edited by dave; 12-01-2015 at 05:26.
    You can never go home again.

3. Default

Nice looking Mausers.

jt

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    are you a member of the Gun Boards Forums? Those guys would be able to ID that I'm sure.
    Do you own German made Mauser? If so try putting the German bolt in this rifle. I think it is a rebuilt FN model 24 (intermediate action length). German bolt will not close. The triangle mark on stock grip looks Yugoslav but rifle hand guard does not. Defiantly not Lithuanian. Could be a Greek but never seen or heard of those being scrubbed and rebuilt, as this one is.
    I should have mentioned it before, but this is definitly a full length action.

I ran it by the guys over on GB a few years ago and got a number of different theories...nothing solid.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...ezuelan-mauser

Guess you will never know for sure.
    You can never go home again.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    Guess you will never know for sure.
    Perhaps not. I'll console myself by shooting it--it is a great shooting rifle.